• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Motherboard to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hirlix

My Asus P4S800 is reaching the end of its life.
Now can you please help me deciding what's the best option?
Thanks.

Should I get:
- P4C800-E Deluxe
- P5GDC-V Deluxe (this way allowing to use my 2x512 PC3200 sticks)
- other that you find best

Do you plan to buy a new cpu chip too? The P5GDC-V is LGA775. Won't work with your current cpu.

The ASUS P4C800-E is ok, but if you're not stuck on ASUS, I'd recommend the ABIT IC7-G Max III instead. I've used both of these with a socket 478 chip and I personally thought the ABIT was the better motherboard of the two.

The P5GDC-V Deluxe is a good choice if you're planning on upgrading your cpu, and you want the option to use either DDR or DDR2, as it supports both (but not at the same time). This motherboard also uses PCI-E (versus AGP), so you'll have to upgrade your video card too.

Last edited:
The question is exactly that one, wdeep4.
Should I just go for a P4C800-E Deluxe, and stay with it some more time.
Or go for a P5GDC-V Deluxe, and also buying a CPU and Graphic card.
Will the gain be somewhat good, of going to 775?

If you have the money, and wish to stay with Intel, then go for something which supports LGA775 (vs PGA478), as it has a better upgrade path. But you don't have to necessarily limit yourself to the P5GDC-V. Take a look at both ABIT's and ASUS's websites and check out the other LGA775 motherboards too. In my opinion, if you're going to build a new rig, and can afford the cost of the latest technology, then it's always better to go with the latest that's out there: LGA775, PCI-E, DDR2, etc. That sort of thing. Let us know what you come up with. The P5GDC-V is really the low end of the 775 mobo's. If you have the cash, you can do a little better than that. Post anything else you're thinking of, after you've looked over what's there, and we'll be glad to critique it further for you.

Abit: http://www.abit-usa.com/

Asus: http://usa.asus.com/index.htm

Good luck!

Ok. I've been searching, and I think I will go for one of these 2:

Asus P5AD2-E PREMIUM - 208
Asus P5WD2 Premium (with Wi-Fi card) - 230

What do you think is the best option (to go with a 630)?

Back