• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My WC setup has gotten a lot of issues.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

I had gone to india for about 3 weeks and my computer had been just sitting here. it wasn't on or anything. After i came back and fired up my system my temps weren't pretty normal to me. My video card was running at 48C idle and cpu running just as hot at idle. So i figured the grease might have gotten dry so i took it old grease out and applied new grease (AS5). and themps didn't make any difference. I think my pump isn't all that i thought it was. I going to make few changes.

This might be a dumb question, but i need to know. Should there be some space left in the reservoir or it should be completely filled up with water and no space left what so ever. I will get rid of the bay reservoir to reduce some tubing space. Should i add a fill port?

HOw about some before and after load temps?

Idle tells us nothing.

Can anyone else figure out the fascination with people and thinking that thermal paste dries up?

the resivoir should be filled as much as possible but if your not sucking any air into the system dont work about it.

i would say maybe the pump isnt flow as much? maybe for some werid/strange reason its not going up to its full speed? like maybe there was a power surge when you were gone?

Can you run your finger inside the reservior fill port? Check to see if it's slimy inside.
Sitting still so long may have invited an algae party to start growing in your system (you didn't mention what additives you use).
A slime coating doesn't transfer heat too well...

Ls7 i pulled apart a few heatsinks after a min 1 year that was not seated 100% [the old thermal compound and superglue in the corners trick] and it was radioshack stuff at the time that had a good rating. when the HS came off the thermal compound was cracked the glue set before the HS bottomed out.

outhouse said:
Ls7 i pulled apart a few heatsinks after a min 1 year that was not seated 100% [the old thermal compound and superglue in the corners trick] and it was radioshack stuff at the time that had a good rating. when the HS came off the thermal compound was cracked the glue set before the HS bottomed out.
outhouse, of course thermal paste will dry if left exposed. ls7 was thinking about a properly seated hs. when a hs and a core are makin good contact, the thermal paste in between them will never dry

I have a thermochill 120.2 and Panfalos Ultra High Speed fans. I think i found the problem. Algue has started to grow in. I'm gunna have to take all the water out and all. While i am at it i will take pictures of the setup and post them up.

Try using some vinegar in the water to flush the whole thing out with. I use waterbed algaecide. If it keeps stuff from growing in my waterbed which sits idle most of the time, I figured it will work fine in a watercooling setup. And so far I have had no problems.

tomorrow or tonite i will get few bottles of vinegar or algea cleaning fluid and start flushing the system out. then rinse with some distilled water. I was thinking of switching to non-conductive fluid since i don't overclock my cpu and gpu and run them at stock speeds during normal use. but i sit there to benchmark to get a higher score i oc other than that i don't oc anything.

oh than forget non-conductive crap. I just ordered a flow indicator and new small res to reduce tubing. I wanted to try out t-line but it would've needed the same amount of tubing so i scratched that idea out. hope fully i'll get everything by wednesday

citronym said:
outhouse, of course thermal paste will dry if left exposed. ls7 was thinking about a properly seated hs. when a hs and a core are makin good contact, the thermal paste in between them will never dry

Yea.

That post still confuses me though. I guess it cracked when you took off the heatsink because it had gotten so hard?

Not sure where the old thermal paste myth came from. Old past types and improper application like you mention? Or is it just because when people remove old paste thay also remove dust?

Back