• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UTT does only 2-3-2 - who's to blame?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lifthanger

Hi.

Since I built my new system I got rather quiet when being around here.
After struggling the Ultra-D and some GFX related issues, I found out that my memory wouldn't do what I wanted it to do. I settled for 2.5-3-3 at 200Mhz and the CPU at 2.2GHz (was stable at 2.6GHz). After some months I do now feel the urge to overclock my system finally.

My Twinmos SP UTT didn't do 2-2-2 timings at any speed. With the jumper at 5V rail and 3.3V there were only small amounts of errors, but still unstable at any speed.
Today I started all over again (frustration is gone for now ;) ).
Result: The utt does (at least) 230MHz stable with 3.1 V at 2-3-2-6.

Now, after this unimportant story, the real question : :)
Is this the memory's fault, or could it be the winchester in some way?
If you'd tell me, that it's all my fault and I can do 2-2-2 easily with bios setting x I'd be glad, too. Though I guess I tried everything the DFI has to offer.

Thanks for your time.

UTT is untested afaik. but my ch-5 uses 2 3 2 6 timings by default but once i give it 3.1v + it lowers to 2 2 2 5. anything less its a no go. it will run 1.5 3 2 6 at 3v :shrug: lol. just try more voltage ( upto 3.4 ) and if its still not hitting 2 2 2 5/6 then just let memtest run over night with 2 2 2 5 and see if the errors go away.

thanks for your thoughts, I'll try this. Should take some time :).

I got the 3.3-3.4V idea from xtremesystems, where most overclockers don't see any improvements over 3.4V on the dfi ultra-d. But I'll try increasing vdimm.

I've got a set that needs over 3.4v to be able to run 2-2-2-x timings and even then, top out right at 240 with 3.6v. Increase the voltage and retest and you may find that they will in fact run 2-2-2-x.

That said, there have been cases, although not many, of UTT that would only run with 2-3-2-x timings. As you probably already know, most of the Speed Premiums are based on the CH die and it is widely known that much of the original CH5 would only run at 2-3-2-x. It may simply be a case of bad luck of the draw with your sticks. I really doubt it is the cpu that won't let the ram run 2-2-2-x.

Good luck and don't forget to add an add'l cooling fan if you are going to bump the voltage up to 3.2v and beyond. It would be a crying shame to reach 2-2-2-x timings and them have your sticks die from overheating.

Lifthanger said:
thanks for your thoughts, I'll try this. Should take some time :).

I got the 3.3-3.4V idea from xtremesystems, where most overclockers don't see any improvements over 3.4V on the dfi ultra-d. But I'll try increasing vdimm.

Which Speed Premiums do you have? By the voltage you're using sounds like you have the AA4T sticks (which is good because they overclock higher). The old ones are the AA4T sticks which are CH-die. The new ones are 1A4T and are BH-die (the codes are on the stickers). They overclock differently (I have both) and adjusting the timings can really get some good performance from both. Also, what bios are you using and which slots do you have the ram in?

Edit: If no amount of tweaking helps you may want to check out the stable settings thread. You could try the timings I used on the same sticks you're using. I posted my settings for TwinMOS UTT, OCZ Value UTT and Mushkin Redlines. One of them should help you if your sticks are capable.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=379317

Last edited:
TwinMOS doesn't use Mosel chips.... If he has the old sucky Speed Premiums then he has the AADT chips which are Powerchip. I don't think they could get to 230fsb with any voltage or timings.

Reefa_Madness: these facts are rather new to me. I only new UTT is some winbond-infineon die and that Twinmos made a deal and got some of these chips. Ch and Bh die UTT is news to me ;).

HousERaT:
My Mem is: Twinmos SP AA4T with 05034 TMD7608F8E44D written on it.
Should be the old CH-die then.
I'm running them in slot 2 and 4 / the orange ones. BIOS's I've tried so far:
1/25, 3/10 and at the moment Oscar Wu's 5/10_2.
They all gave the same results which makes it even more probable that my sticks are to blame.

I've tried many settings I got from several websites, extremesystems is one of them, but to no avail.
I'll try your settings and others again, with higher volts this time.
In the end I'll probably settle for 2-3-2 just because this 5V jumper thing is litteraly too "hot" for my liking. Was hoping to get high with the 3.3V rail and 3.2V vdimm when I bought my system.

I'll test all your suggestions and if nothing helps, I'll be happy with the 2-3-2 timings. :)
Once again thank you all.

edit: I forgot to mention something about these sticks.
They won't run on my NF7-s at all. No matter what I do, they're producing more than hundred errors per memtest pass. Really strange thing, as some guys are using UTT on their nForce2 platforms. Funny thing, but my "old" Twinmos memory (no UTT), which was some cheapo ram when I bought it, did the same thing on my nForce2 boards. Well, just got to say this.

Last edited:
Lifthanger said:
Reefa_Madness: these facts are rather new to me. I only new UTT is some winbond-infineon die and that Twinmos made a deal and got some of these chips. Ch and Bh die UTT is news to me ;).

HousERaT:
My Mem is: Twinmos SP AA4T with 05034 TMD7608F8E44D written on it.
Should be the old CH-die then.
I'm running them in slot 2 and 4 / the orange ones. BIOS's I've tried so far:
1/25, 3/10 and at the moment Oscar Wu's 5/10_2.
They all gave the same results which makes it even more probable that my sticks are to blame.

I've tried many settings I got from several websites, extremesystems is one of them, but to no avail.
I'll try your settings and others again, with higher volts this time.
In the end I'll probably settle for 2-3-2 just because this 5V jumper thing is litteraly too "hot" for my liking. Was hoping to get high with the 3.3V rail and 3.2V vdimm when I bought my system.

I'll test all your suggestions and if nothing helps, I'll be happy with the 2-3-2 timings. :)
Once again thank you all.

My findings with the CH-die chips is you need at least 3.2v to get the 2-2-2-5 timings you desire. Try running those timings at 200fsb and 3.2v (or more). Do some memtesting and see what kind of results you get. Unless one or both of those sticks are bad you should be able to run 2-2-2-5 with no problem. I had a problem with a Winchester mem controller but it wouldn't let me run with 2 sticks of memory...... so I can't tell if the mem controller is the problem or not. Also the 3/10p bios was very good to those chips when I used it.

I just saw your settings in the stable settings thread, houserat. Are these 3.2V vdimm off of the 3.3V rail? It's good to have some help from someone with the same parts. I'll definitely try your suggestions and I'll report back. Thanks. :beer:

Lifthanger said:
I just saw your settings in the stable settings thread, houserat. Are these 3.2V vdimm off of the 3.3V rail? It's good to have some help from someone with the same parts. I'll definitely try your suggestions and I'll report back. Thanks. :beer:

Yes, you don't have to switch over to the 5v rail unless you go over 3.2v...... 3.3v if you do the J17 Mod. Good luck.

here are some results:

I tried 3.5V max vdimm.
I couldn't get 2-2-2-x stable with any combination of timings. memtest #5 seemes stable for some settings, but then there were few errors in other tests and windows crashed right after startup.
I would be very frustrated, but:

Now I'm running 2-3-2-6 240MHz at 3.2V off the 3.3V rail.
I'm still pushing, but this result got me smiling again ;).

It would be interesting to test if it's only one stick failing. I guess I'll do some testing today or tomorrow.

Interesting..... I bet you have a less then stellar stick between the two....... and yes these sticks don't work on NF7 boards too well. Was able to get my AA4T sticks to work in one of my NF7 boards but not both.

FYI, my Mushkin Blues with UTT produce thousands of errors in my NF7 v2, as well, regardless of voltage (2.8v, 2.9v, 3.3v).

So I bought some old Black Level 2's. :D But you're not the only one with that issue, just FYI.

ah that's some interesting news.
I thought I was the only one with problems on my NF7-S. At least I know now, that it's "normal" behaviour.

I'm still working on single stick / other slots configuration. I'll let you know about my results!

If I were you I would try different bioses, and I would also try using one stick at a time. If you use the newer 510-2 bios you can try the yellow dimms as well.

What do the chips read? Are they the 44D CH5 chips?

I made some progress and the solution was rather easy:

One of both chips fails primes blend test immediately when running 2-2-2-x while the other one keeps going. Seems like I had bad luck with one stick.
Changing slots didn't do anything for stability.

Seems like a decision has to be made. Buying a new stick or be glad with 2-3-2..

I'll memtest the "bad" stick at stock settings 2.5-3-3-8 200MHz and stock volts.
If it should put out more errors than acceptable, I could try to get them replaced.
I had some minor instabillities all the time since I built this system - one blue screen in 2 weeks. This was with SPD settings of course. If it should turn out to be the stick's fault.. well, I'd be happy.

Thanks for spending your time on this thread. You really helped me making some progress and I've learned quite a bit about UTT memory. The nForce2 part was also very useful. :)

edit: I've just noticed that I killed warranty on both sticks, as I gave them more than 3.0V. So you may just forget the part about getting the stick replaced ;).

Dude, trust me... you didn't really void it. If it can't do stock settings just send back the one that's bad. I'm sure you also bought these as single sets, not as a dual... unless you live overseas and bought a dual.

Send back the bad stick, or both... just be sure to know that the new ones have been UTT BH5, not UTT CH5. I think you have the CH5 since you've had them for a while.

Back