• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wierd problem with SATA on IC7-G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

damarble

OK, I had SATA drive working in my #2 rig in sig, then I screwed up some OCing and had to reset the BIOS. I think I've got all the settings right, but the drive wont detect. It works fine in PATA tho. (I used the SATA adaptor that comes with the mobo, so it's not a true SATA drive, and if i take the adaptor off it can be used in PATA) So what gives?

Well, I thought I did re-enable it, but maybe I'm not doing the right one.

I am using SATA port 1.

The manual is horrible, and I forgot how I set it last time, so I am only guessing at this point.

It's been a while since I've played with my IC7. But, I think that I used the auto SATA setting and then I enabled IDE bus mastering. Since I was using only one SATA drive, I also disabled the RAID function.

the Abit bios for the ic7's can be a bit of a pain to get RAID set up, etc. I don't remember having to change any settings to get it to just see a single SATA drive though. Do you have it connected to the southbridge controller, or the Silicon Image one? If I remember correctly, you have to enable the SI controller in one of the bios settings.

edit: just noticed you said you are using port 1. that should be the southbridge...
I'll take a look at the bios in my ic7-max3, but am out of town and can't get to it until at least tomorrow night

I think (maybe) the IDE bus mastering was disabled by default in the earlier BIOS versions and enabled by default in the later versions. Look in the "intergrated peripherals" menu and then go to the "onchip IDE device" submenu. The IDE bus mastering setting should be right on top. Near the bottom of this same submenu is the onchip serial ATA option which probably should be set to "auto".

Okay, I checked my BIOS, and IDE Bus Master is already "Enabled," and OnChip Serial ATA is set to "Auto," just like you mentioned. Since it's not working at that particular setting I played around and disabled the bus master, set onchip sata to ide, etc... still no go.

I'm on the lower SATA (sata 3), and now the Sata utility at the beginning of POST shows the hard drive. It shows the windows loading screen (I'm on the 2nd part of the install), but then I got a BSOD. I figured that I should try to reinstall again from the dos setup and start all over, but winxp installation doesn't detect any HDD. The Sata post screen does, though... grrrr... I dunno what to do.

Was this board even supposed to have a SATA disk? I don't like boards that don't have a disk... they always have issues. Now what? :(

Guess I've always used SATA channel 1 when I used only one SATA drive. There is supposed to be a SATA floppy disk that comes with the mobo, but I think that's mainly for RAID. I never had to use it to just get the OS installed. All drivers can be downloaded from Abit. Google "abit usa download".

right, you'll need the floppy drivers for sure if you are using RAID. well unless you slipstream them into your windows install cd...

not quite sure about a single SATA drive. if you're using port 3 which is on the silicon image controller, there is a good chance you may still need the driver to install windows. i don't think you need the floppy if you're using port 1 or 2

Guys, I tried SATA 1, and I tried SATA 2. I tried lots of different combos in the BIOS, and none got the system to be able to load the 2nd part of the windows installation.

I then downloaded the silicon drivers, and went ahead and installed winXP on sata3 with the drivers. I didn't know what else to do. I took out the 200gig WD sata from my main rig and am going to use it for this Intel rig. I have no clue what is up with this thing, but I got it to work on sata3... pretty annoying, eh?

Well, usually you have to hit F6 and install the drivers in the winXP install, and if you don't it won't see the hard drive. The weird thing is that when I had it on Sata1 (intel chipset) I was able to see and install onto the sata hdd from the msdos winxp installation... then when the dos setup was complete the system would reboot and then go into the 2nd installation procedure, and that's where it would stop working, and give me this message:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

Back