• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how accurate is this temp sensor..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
xoxide_1845_10340953

it looks like there is two Cº ratings, does it take more then one temperature? it looks cool, but no idea on how accurate it is.. that thing is cool though...

hmm. maybe it measures case?
dont no what that other one is for
yeah id like to have some kind of temp sensor in my loop cause probes are inaccurate.

Looking closely at the display, the top one is alarm temp--the high point you set at which the alarm sounds. The bottom one is the probe readout.

It doesn't mention if it's calibrated or not, but it is a Thermalsteal(take) so I'd bet not.
It is nice to have a second opinion over just feeling the tubing though...that's how I view my Aerogate. Truly accurate devices can cost more than the computer did.

Diggrr said:
Looking closely at the display, the top one is alarm temp--the high point you set at which the alarm sounds. The bottom one is the probe readout.

It doesn't mention if it's calibrated or not, but it is a Thermalsteal(take) so I'd bet not.
It is nice to have a second opinion over just feeling the tubing though...that's how I view my Aerogate. Truly accurate devices can cost more than the computer did.

i was just thinking that this morning as i looked at the front of my thermaltake sviking case, as i have the same type of sensor in the front bezel.

Diggrr said:

Depends on how accurate you want, you can get ~.5C for a few dollars....

How to get accurate temps:

Buy a t-splitter. Put it somewhere in your loop and hook up a tube to it. Buy a good old fashion mercury thermometer and stuff it in the tubing. Get some nice silicone caulk and seal that baby up. Tada! Accurate temps.

such a good idea...and so obvious LOL good one kayson, i just might do that

and what does calibrated mean diggrr?

calibrated simply means the accuracy of the device has been tested and unified with a standard.

a thermometor might say its 75º outside, but it could be off. testing the termometer to be sure it is accurate would be considered calibrating it

lol and as diggrr said, it wasnt hehe

sad, it looks so unique lol, im gonna see if theres any around that ARE accurate

You can get an idea of how far it's off using a quality mercury thermometer and a cup of warm water. If the sensor isn't adjustable, then you'd at least know relatively how far off it was, and make mental adjstments from there.
And by quality I mean laboratory grade like those foot long yellow ones.

Take a look at some of BillA's testing devices he used in his articles on the front page. That's what I meant by truly accurate when I wrote it earlier. He invested some coin to help us all....
*edit* I looked up his Fluke 2190A Digital Thermometer. I found it for $450...used.My lanparty, corsair gig, and a64 dtr were $365.

It's funnyhow far off a temp device is allowed to be, yet even the lowly tape measure is inspected by the government in manufacturing, and by the ISO system when you use it for manufacturing.

I think pHeastus did an article on procooling about how to go about calibration.

Last edited:
yea, that's the same thing as my thermaltake fan controller without the fan controller part. the temps are reasonably accurate.

he's right, the top part is the alarm temp and the bottom part the actual temp reading. the alarm temp is adjusted with a small pot-looking thing with a small screwdriver on the bottom right hand corner.

I think you may be disappointed with it if you are using 1/2" tubing. I picked one up from CrazyPC. When it got here, I had quite a laugh. There may be separate adapters for 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2" tubing, but where the water passes through is 1/4". I would say you are going to restrict your flow pretty bad.

I sent mine back.

doode that would be sweet, keep us updated on if you do decide to widen the inlet of the T. but it is a hassle for you and others if they buy it and have a 3/8, 1/2 setup.

Ok I got my stuff last night, First thing I did was open the Inline Temp sensor and took it apart.. Grab the keys and wallet and went to Home depot..

Found the fittings I wanted then started ripping bags open to make sure everythign fit right before I left the store..

EDIT: I used a 3/8" 'T' joint and used a 3/8" to 3/8" barb on both sides with a 3/8" to 1/8" converter to put the sensor In the top.

Total cost about $5 USD

Here is the outcome..

Attachments

• Temp_Sens.jpg
    Temp_Sens.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 85
Back