• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Now this is strange when looking at the Abit IC7 it has the Phoenix-Award v6.00PG bios. My pos Soyo also has the same bios why can't I overclock it ?

bios is not the only factor that determines overclocking. how the bios is programmed by the board manufacturer, as well as the hardware the manufacturer uses, determines this.

"G" has gigabit Lan and Silicon Image SATA Controller.

I just bought the Abit IC7 what is the best ram for this? Speed wise? I have regular consair pc3200 512mb x 2. Should I buy something else?

I got the IC7-G. I'm in the process of hooking it up (got it used from OCF). I have the MAXII... I don't even know what the diff between the MaxII and III and whatnot are.

Dual channel provides a lot more bandwidth than single channel, especially with intel. I would always suggest a dual channel board for intel, but for AMD that is your call. It does make a significant difference with AMD as well, but not nearly as much as it does for intel. That is why socket 754 A64s (only single channel) are not so far behind socket 939 A64s (dual channel support) in performance. I have only bought dual channel boards ever since the ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe and EPOX 8RDA+ (both for athlon XPs).

Also, you asked how much faster dual channel is than regular ram. Well it's not really the ram that decides if it's dual channel or not; rather, it's the board (as long as you don't have anything other than DDR and DDR2). You cannot do dual channel with any ram older than 184-pin, such as 168-pin and whatnot. Right now 2400-pin DDR2 and 184-pin DDR are the popular kinds of ram that can run on a dual channel board (for desktops).

kdrifter440 said:
I just bought the Abit IC7 what is the best ram for this? Speed wise? I have regular consair pc3200 512mb x 2. Should I buy something else?

Depends on how far you intend on overclocking. The nice thing about Intel systems is that you can use the 5:4 memory ratio. As long as you can crank up the FSB and use reasonable tight timings, you'll be fine. One hint about the IC7 series, the RAS to CAS delay don't like to be tight. If you have trouble, try relaxing RAS to CAS delay one notch. If you are trying to O/C your RAM on an IC7, try raising vdimm to at least 2.7v.

The IC7/IC7-G Max2 is basically the version 2 of those mobos. The Max3 was the top end IC7 series with 6 SATA channels and vdimm settings up to 3.2v (although VTT didn't track right above 2.8v). The Max3 also was the first to have the OTES cooling thing.

Last edited:
Where can I (or we) find mods on these boards? I want to mod my VTT and VDIMM.

g0dM@n said:
Where can I (or we) find mods on these boards? I want to mod my VTT and VDIMM.

Yes indeed. Look in my sticky post that covers the IC7 series. There will be a whole bunch of links. Scroll down and find Hipro's guide to voltage mods.

I'm assuming that that's located in the motherboards > intel > abit Section? Does it also discuss cooling which MOSFETs, etc... I want to FULLY mod it. :)

I'll post the volt mod link here to make it easier.

http://www.thelab.gr/reviews/ic7mods_en1.php

For sinking up the mosfets, there should be lots of threads that cover this subject. Just use the search button. Here is a pic of my IC7-G that shows what cooling mods I did. The red arrows point to mosfet sinks, the yellow arrow points to PLL chip and the blue arrow points to the southbridge sink. That pic was before I changed the northbridge cooler. The NB-1 is a good one to look for if you want a better N/B cooler.

mobo-cooling-mods.jpg

Last edited:
I actually thought that NB cooler was good. I have a Vantec Copper Iceburq... not sure if that's better than the stock one on there. You really think I should change the stock cooler with my Vantec Copper?

P.S. Gonna get my thermal epoxy ready tonight for the mosfet sinkage. :)

The stock N/B ain't bad. The Vantec Iceberg probably won't cool too much better. Whether you should improve N/B cooling depends a lot on how high of FSB you are planning on running. The stock N/B cooler is certainly good for up to 275 FSB. I have a 2.4C on mine right now, so I'm running up to 292 FSB at times. Here is a pic of my current setup.

IC7+mods+2.jpg

SEXY! What is your ram running? What frequency/timings/volts? :)

How about BIOSes? (to make your life easier, if you want just link me to a ic7 thread that will give me the basics)

I will probably be tweaking this weekend. :)

RAM is in my siggy (2X512 Hyperram PC4200). Right now I'm running 1:1 ratio at 283 FSB for 3.4 gig.

Don't remember off hand what timings, but they are fairly relaxed. Think the vdimm is about 2.7v or so.

I would just update to the most recent BIOS (version 28). I think maybe I'm still using version 24.

Here is a good link that will get you started on BIOS settings commonly used during overclocking.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=258345

Back