• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NOOB ram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homey_v

Registered
Ok right now I have a stick of infineon 512 ram. I wish to upgrade to 1 gig and go dual channel. My first question is can I mix and match ram? I did this before long time ago (mixing and matching ram) with some success.

Can I purchase another stick of 512 and just plop it into the blue slot? Or do I need to buy 2 new sticks and use those instead? Does that make sense?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that IF i can mix and match, I would like to purchase a kingston ram to work with my infineon.

P4 3gig prescott
512 ram infineon pc3200
120gig harddrive.
radeon 9200se(getting new vid card soon)

anything else you need to know?

It says on the stick its infineon, but with cpu-z it says the manufacture is
0000000 just to let you know.

EDIT: I am not looking to overclock it.

Last edited:
it sounds like you have a dell pc? i have the same ram in my dell you should be able to mix them np unless campatibilty with you board stops you. the kingston is some real nice ram at a fair price too. i have ony had one problem with compatibility with them

Naw i don't have a dell computer, it was the custom made computers.
o and I forgot the mb im using is asus p4s800d-x.

another question I would like to throw out there...with dual channel. Can you have one stick of ram larger than the other?

ok well the infineon ram i am using right now is the qualified vendors list. I will be purchasing another stick that is on the qualified list. If I do it SHOULD be compatable right?

THANKS FOR THE ANSWERS.

Like was said, for best results you should have matching sticks, but if the two sticks are the same size (as in both 512) and same speed (both PC3200), then it will "probably" work ok. There is always a slight risk of a conflict. But, since you are not overclocking, you might have a better chance of them playing well together. You can't find another stick of the same Infineon RAM? Anyway, to make dual channel work on Intel systems, you will want the RAM in the same color slots (for example, slots 1 & 3 or slots 2 & 4).

im trying to look for infineon ram around my place, I do not want to order on the internet, but I have had no luck.

Try to keep the ram the same if you plan on running dual channel other wiser I dont see why you cant mix and match brands.

why do i need the ram the same?
well i baught samsung ram and apparently. im wrong I have kingston but it says infineon. I forgot I switched my ram with old computer.

well i got samsung and im using dual channel and running pretty well.

Back