• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sealing the fan shroud

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hypertek

100_0464.jpg

can I use a tape to seal the shroud (rubbermaid or something) around the heater core? What kind of tape?

You can use thin, narrow, foam weatherstripping to help seal things up. Wide tape such a packing or duct tape can work also.

You can use that aluminum duct sealing tape too. It's a heavy-ish aluminum foil tape with a peal off sticker paper protecting the glue.
Easily formed and rubbed smooth, shiny (shiny=purty), and holds like crazy.

Home Depot, to answer the next question. :D

^^ agreed. I love Aluminum duct tape. In fact you can even "make" a shroud out of the stuff. Just need soem posts to stand the fan off the rad, and just wrap and form the tape around the HC and fan.

wow, tupawear, so simple why didnt i think of that! lol

quick ?, why did you rewire an ac cord to your fan? didnt like the 3/4 pin? :)

i bet that fan is unfortunately a 120v fan instead of a 12v one.

when i first read this thread the pic wasnt up for whatever reason so i had no idea what the shroud looks like

that is sweet, very creative. im a HUGE fan of using household items in computer engineering.

dont u wish everything was made like rubbermaid?

I found double sided foam tape to work.... You def want some type of double sided adhesive, versuses say just wrapping duct tape around it.

I thought of using those last year. Thought it might look too ghetto until I figured a nice coat of paint would make it look expensive! I had 2 made up until I purchased a few shrouds from the classifieds. They fit the 302 core perfectly so I went with em.

To seal I used neoprene tape. Worked well enough. :)

JT

I've used wide, transparent tape for quick-n-dirty jobs just to get things together and for a more permanent solution I've used this stuff:
DAP.jpg
It may not be made for sealing a shroud to a core but it's soft enough and maleable enough to both manouver into place when applying it, and to cut through if it needs to be removed and yet its got enough strength to hold a shroud and a fan or two in place without worrying about it staying. Also it's paintable and cheap.

thanks for the info!

I went cheap with duct tape.. but dammm does it get the job done! May be ugly, but the performance cant be beat, cant reallly see the heater core once its in the system anyways..

100_0466.jpg
100_0468.jpg

Holding a paper on is own
100_0467.jpg

regarding my choice of fan, its a a/c one i had from radio shack that i had since i was 16 (5 years ago) when i was ghetto air cooling my computer (blowing air into the side of the case. Havent had a use for it since, so thought Id bring her out of the closet, besides, it cuts down the cost of building my set up since i already had it. :cool:

Back