• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can I push my PC133 memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Few questions first:

What timings does it have, and how much do you want to relax them? Is it branded, and if so what brand? Also have you put heatspreaders or a fan cooler on it? How many extra volts are you going to give it?

>HyperlogiK< said:
What timings does it have (...)?
I have no idea. :)
>HyperlogiK< said:
Is it branded, and if so what brand?
EMPAQ / EM33S51280-7.5 / PC133 / 512MB / 64x8 SDRAM-7.5-T [Single-Sided]
>HyperlogiK< said:
Also have you put heatspreaders or a fan cooler on it?
Nope.
>HyperlogiK< said:
How many extra volts are you going to give it?
I actually haven't thought about that yet. By the way: I'm using an Abit KT7A with OC-Master's (?) modified A9 BIOS.

you should be fine, i had my old double sided 512 humpin along at 160mhz, my mobo died at 170mhz, it was a soyo. but cpu and ram still ok:)

Most PC133 RAM that is rated at or is stable at CAS2 when running 133 FSB should handle close to 150 FSB if you relax the timing to CAS3.

I believe that ram is rated at 2-3-2 at 133mhz. So for overclocking, it would probably be a good idea to specify the timings in your bios at 3-3-3. You may also wish to increase the ram voltage by +0.1 V. Don't worry, you won't hurt your ram.

Isn't there a way to let it run at 150Mhz without losing the good timings?

maehor said:
Isn't there a way to let it run at 150Mhz without losing the good timings?

So damn bored with the DFI NF4 board, A64s, TCCD @ 300, 2.5-3-3-6 (heh), blah blah. It's refreshing to see a different topic.

Yes you might be able to run 150, 2-2-2- but you need good ram - I would say the cream of the crop. I still have a P3 rig and the ram that will do this is KingMax PC-150 with TinyBGA 6.5-7.0 ns ICs, PowMem PC-133 with 7 ns Infineon, and Mushkin LevelII. The latter is still available from Mushkin but expensive, I think $125 per 512 MB stick.

Tonicom PC-166 will also do 150-160+ easily, albeit at 3-3-3- timings.

But your ram? Unless it has something close to 7-ns Infineon, not likely. I hear some of the Crucial stuff also used to do 150, 2-2-2-.

Also doing >150, 2-2-2- 3D stable with 2x256 ram is not easy. You got one 512 stick so that may be harder. Even the KingMax I got are 512 sticks but 150 is the limit at 2-2-2-5, tho' it could be my AGP bus is crapping out.

Clevor said:
But your ram? Unless it has something close to 7-ns Infineon, not likely.
The only info I could find about my RAM's manufacturer was that it "produces memory with very good timings" (a forum user stated this).

>HyperlogiK< said:
Or you might manage doing it by cooling it and giving mucho volts.
The air my CPU and NB coolers are exhausting is flowing into my RAM's direction. :) How mch volts do you think I could add?

maehor said:
The only info I could find about my RAM's manufacturer was that it "produces memory with very good timings" (a forum user stated this).

The air my CPU and NB coolers are exhausting is flowing into my RAM's direction. :) How mch volts do you think I could add?

I wouldn't bother. Most of the ole P3 boards did not have adjustable SDRAM voltage, and it hardly helps anyway. Only maybe some V input/output voltage using a jumper.

Just try running 150, 3-3-3, 3-3-2, 3-2-2, or 2-2-2 and see what you can get.

Back