• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Locked BIOS options (Asus P4B)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turonah

I can see the FSB, the CPU to mem ratio, etc., but I can't change any of it - any hints?

I'm running an Asus P4B mobo (*just* a P4B, no fancy letters or numbers after that) with an intel P4 2.0 ghz. My bios (ACPI BIOS Revision 1010, Award Software Inc) shows me all the info, but won't let me change any of it. Do I need to flash my BIOS, or is there an easier (read: "less risky/scary") way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
-- Turonah

I think you're at the wrong place in the bios. Look for something like "jumperfree configuration" under "advanced system settings" for the cpu, or something similar to that. Also look at "advanced chipset settings" for the ram.

No dice - I have an advanced tab in the BIOS screen and that's where it gives me the info, but there's nowhere that it lets me change anything related to the cpu besides the L1 and L2 caches. Other options under the "Advanced" tab are PCI Configuration, I/O Device Configuration, and PCI IRQ Exceptions.
Just to be sure, I checked every menu option I had in my BIOS and came up empty - the info is there, but I can't change it.
Any other ideas?

There should be a blue "jen" switch on your motherboard, with 10 white "dip" switches. All 10 switches should be to the left in the off position. Right below the "jen" switch is a jumper. The jumper needs to be on the top 2 pins, pins 2 and 3. I suspect yours is on the bottom two (pins 1 and 2). Turn your pc off and disconnect the power. Set the 10 "dip" switches to the off position, put the jumper on pins 2 and 3, reboot, go into the bios, and then see if you get the desired bios options.

That did it - the options that were locked are now open for discussion :)
Thanks very much for your help; I am now officially running my first overclocked system ^_^

Now for the next step - how do I tell what's bottlenecking my oc? The system hangs at 120 FSB, windows crashes at 119, so 115 FSB is about all I can get right now. The good news is that she's very stable and still quite cool, though I'll have to test her in the summer heat tomorrow ^_^

Yep - that's done it :D I kinda figured that's what the problem was, but I guess I was hoping for an easier way to tell than trial and error ... oh well; t & e is quite a proven method anyways :)

Every chip is unique. Trial and error is the only way you'll realize the full overclocking potential of your particular chip. Tweak away, and good luck!

Yeah, I got her running stable at 120 FSB - now my display is limiting it somehow. If I go higher than 120, she hangs and when I go back down my processor to AGP controller doesn't like me anymore :p
Not sure if this is a mobo limitation or if my video card can't handle any more, but my chip should easily get to 133 fsb.
Oh well - "upgrading" a 2.0 to a 2.4 is pretty decent for a first overclock :D

Back