• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the other 875p-t thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alinosa

here's my situation: got the rig in my sig put together and after all the crap with the the wrong bios, i got her running at 4GHz without touching Vcore. so, i had 4000 MHz @ 1.3125V. RAM was/is at 2.9 and my Vagp is at... 1.7 i think. today while tooking wround on the forums at work, i got the bug to see how much firther i can go since i seem to have a decent chip. i got to 265 stable (so far, i'm priming now... about 10 mins into it.) CRAP... one of the instances just crapped out... anyways, i am (was) sitting here congratulating myself, when i noticed that cpu-z has my ram listed a 269 MHz... then it drops to 267.... my bios setting should be getting me 4.24 GHz. (16x265) but i took a screenie of cpu-z and it showed 43xx... that seems like a lot of frequency drift. is this normal?

attached is said screenie.

hitting these freqs without having to pull out my hair is kind of heady...

Attachments

• new intel high freq.JPG
    new intel high freq.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 140
Yup, that's normal on the 6xx and 5xxJ procs. They will let the fsb jump around. Especially when it is under load. Mine does the same thing. That's what makes OCing these tricky. You might have the proper voltage to OC to 4.2, but when it jumps to 4.3, you might be short just enough voltage to make it fail Prime. Be nice if they could release a BIOS that allows us to effectively turn EIST off.

hmm, i thought my old, nfII fluctuated a lot, and it only added about 5 MHz to the freq... with this setup i get frequency fluctuations in the 25+ MHz range... how wierd.

thnx bigstan

Turn off speed spectrum. Its enabeled by defualt, and allows the FSB to float.

Its the MB that does that not the CPU. It hinders O/Cs and you want it off.

i wondered what heck that did, but i didn't want to "fix" something that wasn't "broken".

also, i went back and thought through my math... my old nfII added 5 MHz to my clock speed but only fluctuated ~.5 MHz.

this new board adds ~45 MHz to my clock and then lets it fluctuate ~25 MHz. that just seems sloppy to me.

going to go "fix" the spectrum thingy.., thnx PMSfishy

alinosa said:
i wondered what heck that did, but i didn't want to "fix" something that wasn't "broken".

also, i went back and thought through my math... my old nfII added 5 MHz to my clock speed but only fluctuated ~.5 MHz.

this new board adds ~45 MHz to my clock and then lets it fluctuate ~25 MHz. that just seems sloppy to me.

going to go "fix" the spectrum thingy.., thnx PMSfishy

Its a plus/mins X % sort of thing.

So 5% at 2000mhz vs 5% at 4000mhz is quite a difference.

{PMS}fishy said:
Its a plus/mins X % sort of thing.

So 5% at 2000mhz vs 5% at 4000mhz is quite a difference.

too too true.
i turned it off and am priming now. it still fluctuates, but it's not as bad. i think that whatever oscillator the FSB is derived from is also not as precise/accurate on this mobo. at the my current settings, with the wildly fluctuating FSB/CPU clock, it lasted a whole 9 minutes into prime, so we shall see how long she runs when she isn't so sloppy.

Leave it on its a bug with cpu-z I think .Try watching Everest on the overclock page, the fsb only floats 1mhz.Or throttle watch.

If you are running that Vcore at that speed I need to get me some water cooling,on air I nedd 1.65Vcore to get 270fsb.

well, i'm not stable at 265, with 1.4125... at least not with prime, but with games and stuff i'm fine... i'm doing sen's burn in and it's slow going with this chip. hopefully, i'll get it to be stable at this fsb and no more volts. i overvolted my mobile xp chip and it got kind of finnicky, so i don't want to risk burning out a 275 dollar chip. gotta take it slow. i'll check out everest to see what it looks like.

I used to have an OC on my old system, it didn't seem to like prime much but it was sweet with games and every else I wanted to do so I classed it as stable.

If it runs what you want it to, its stable ;p

alinosa said:
well, i'm not stable at 265, with 1.4125... at least not with prime, but with games and stuff i'm fine... i'm doing sen's burn in and it's slow going with this chip. hopefully, i'll get it to be stable at this fsb and no more volts. i overvolted my mobile xp chip and it got kind of finnicky, so i don't want to risk burning out a 275 dollar chip. gotta take it slow. i'll check out everest to see what it looks like.
Your CPU voltage is prolly a little low to hold stable at 265+. A lot of peeps need to bump up their Vcore around 265~270. And the amount of voltage required starts going up real fast. It takes me 1.6v to hold 275fsb.

BigStan said:
Your CPU voltage is prolly a little low to hold stable at 265+. A lot of peeps need to bump up their Vcore around 265~270. And the amount of voltage required starts going up real fast. It takes me 1.6v to hold 275fsb.

hmm, i'll try bumping the vcore to see how she likes it. i don't know how much more my memory has left, since on my nfII board it maxed out at 265. I guess it's time to start really pushing this board... a little.

Back