• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM Timings??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dzapffe19

Im trying to overclock my ram, and the thing is, i dont know what would be good timings(i have 1 gig pc 3200 dual channel 400 mhz) (corsair value select)

cpu-z:

currently they are:
freq: (400mhz) 200 mhz (2x200 in sandra therefore 400 total)
FSB: DRAM CPU/10
CAS# Latency 2.5 cl
RAS# to CAS# 3 cl
RAS Percentage 3 cl
Cycle Time(Tras) 8 cl
Bank Cycle time (Trc) 11 cl
DRAM idle timer 16 cl

AMD 3200+ Venice core
ABIT AV8 third eye
1 gig corsair value pc 3200, 400 mhz, dual channel
RADEON 9800 pro
200 gig SATA

Last edited:
First off you want to get your mem speed (frequency) as high as you can cause from my personal benchmarks I've seen a greater memory bandwith with mem speed high and high latency rather than low timings and low speed. So you probably are gonna wanna max out your htt (since you got an A64) and get that memory speed up as high as you possibly can then try to lower your timings. Also make sure it's stable with software like super pi and memtest

It needs to go as fast as it can go. Which probably won't be much more than 200 Mhz (or effectively 400 Mhz since it's DDR). I have Corsair Value Select and they don't overclock much. I'm also using an NF2 board though so that might have something to do with it. You will probably want to run your memory at a divider so that you can still get a fast speed for your A64.

First you need to lower your CPU multiplier to around 6x and put your RAM at a 1:1 divider. Slowly bump up your HTT from 200 Mhz to whatever it will go up to using Memtest86+ to test your RAM for stability. To do quick stability testing use test #5 and let it run for 20-30 minutes for each bump up of the HTT. Once you find out how high your RAM can go without getting errors in Memtest then you can raise your CPU multiplier to whatever it is stable at and use a divider to put your RAM at or near its highest stable MHz. Then you should be good to keep raising your HTT to get a good CPU overclock.

I don't have any first hand experience with overclocking A64s but I believe I have a basic understanding of how it's done. Read some of the stickies about overclocking your A64 chip and those will probably help you out more than I can.

Good Luck!

ok, using abit's OC guru, ive gotten my ram freq up to 440 mhz, i can take it up a little more i guess but not sure.

You need to see how stable it is tho. You should download memtest86. Then you burn it to a CD and boot of it. Run test 5 and 8 a few times and see if you get any errors. If you get errors youre either running your ram at too high of speed or without enough voltage. On VS RAM, I wouldnt recommend putting the voltage much higher than stock because its not made to go fast or take many volts. Once you get to the highest speed without getting errors, run Prime 95 for a few hours (I usually run it overnight) then see if you have any errors in that. If you have errors in that, it's either your HT speed or your memory. I'm assuming your 3200+ can handle 10x220 without a problem. First try dropping your HT multiplyer to 4x then run Prime95 some more. If you still get errors then you need to lower your memory speed and start doing memtest again.. Heres a good guide.. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3758390#post3758390

Back