• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MemTest86+ fine...but XP NOT fine...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlcatrazT2

Hey everyone:
I'm trying to max out my memory over here on a 1:1 ratio (see signature).
At 2.6volts (default) and 2-3-3-6 timings (default) the RAM is stable at 230MHZ.

However, once it gets pushed to 231 and higher, 2.65-2.8v it is unstable and the computer will reboot when playing games and such. I tried running MemTest86+, test #8 for 231MHz 2.6, 2.65, 2.7, and even 2.8 and it passes fine for 30 or so passes. However, in Windows it reboots and such.

Any ideas?
I was thinking that it might be CPU related. I tried bumping my voltages and it still did not help. Have I reached my MAX for my RAM?

I thought bumping voltages beyond stock would at least give it a little bit more juice... :bang head

You may have reached your limit at CL2. How about trying CL2.5? Also, I think Memtest pro is better at picking up ram errors. If you use mentest86 have you run a loop of test 5? Good luck.

Memtest is a great way to test RAM mostly by itself. But once you get into Windows you have a whole host full of other factors coming into play. So when taking into account other factors you may have to keep your RAM speed a little lower than what it is possible to do in Memtest to achieve true stability. A combination of Memtest for RAM, Prime95 for CPU, and 3DMark2001 Nature Test Loop for 3D gaming would give you a good idea of stability. Also, SuperPi 32M would be good to add in there for a CPU/RAM stability test. I would run them in the order of Memtest, SuperPi 32M, Prime95, then 3DMark2001. Only after you find the speed for all components so that they will pass those tests then can you say your system is stable. At least in my eyes anyway.

Back