• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to exceed 1GB w/NF7-S, what should I do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grimdeath

I current have 2x512 Corsair XMS3200LL install DC in my NF7-S 2.0.
In prep for BF2, I'm toying going over the 1GB mark.

Should I:
(1) Spend the extra cash and get 2x1GB sticks of PC400 (replace what I have)
OR
(2) Just get another 512 -> 1GB stick and pop it in the last SDRAM slot in addition to what I currently have. This stick will not participate in dual channel...

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Well since you already have 2x512 and still want dual channel you are going to have to buy a 1GB stick

put the 2 512's in the bank 1 and 2 and the 1GB stick in bank 3

jAY said:
Well since you already have 2x512 and still want dual channel you are going to have to buy a 1GB stick

put the 2 512's in the bank 1 and 2 and the 1GB stick in bank 3

I guess what I'm asking is the performance difference negligable with 1 stick not running dual channel or should I really go 2GB totally dual channel to keep the same performance level I experience now.
From what I remember, DC didn't make that much of a difference but I could be wrong.....

I think if you have the two 512MB in the first two slots and the 1GB in the third, they will all run dual-channel. Can someone back this up?

No that's wrong. Dual channel can only work with an even # of RAM slots. if you have 3 slots, then slot 1 and 2 work in dual channel and 3 is independent if you have 4 RAM slots then 1 and 2 are dual channel and 3 and 4 are dual channel so you essentially have dual dual channel not quad channel thus the naming convention DUAL channel dual meaning 2.

theMonster said:
No that's wrong. Dual channel can only work with an even # of RAM slots. if you have 3 slots, then slot 1 and 2 work in dual channel and 3 is independent if you have 4 RAM slots then 1 and 2 are dual channel and 3 and 4 are dual channel so you essentially have dual dual channel not quad channel thus the naming convention DUAL channel dual meaning 2.

no, thats wrong. theres 3 slots on my board, i started off with 2*256s, then i bought my first stick of 512, put the 256s in 0+1, and the 512 in dimm3, it was dual channel. unfortunately, i dont have my screenies to back me up. but i know it was dual channel.

theMonster said:
Yes it was dual channel on 2 of the chips, not Tri-channel on all 3 :rolleyes:

Acutally on an NF7 slots 1 & 2 would be considered 1 channel and slot 3 would be considered the other channel for 3 sticks of ram, so it would be dual channel with all three slots. Perhaps you're confused because of the ram total amounts. The total amount of ram for slots 1 & 2 have to be equal to the ram amount in slot 3, if I had 2 512 sticks in slot 1 & 2 and a 1 gig stick in slot 3 it would be indeed dual channel. I'm not sure where you got your information from but it's incorrect.

theMonster said:
exactly what I explained before he tried to argue it. :rolleyes: :bang head

argue all you want, i wouldnt make something like that up. luckily for you i found some old screenies, just looking thru them now. :bang head :rolleyes:

theMonster said:
How did I run 1 256mb and 1 513mb in dual channel then? The timings have to be equal, not necissarily the ram size. You're right in how you explain the way the dual channel worked though. 2 matched ram chips can work on 1 channel, and the 3rd works on its' own, you don't have 3 channels.

No they don't have to have matching timings (although it would help in stability) and I never said anything about three channels. Slots 1 & 2 work as one channel and slot 3 works as the other. 3 sticks, 2 channels = dual channel. None of the sticks get left out of the loop which is what you said before.

HousERaT said:
Acutally on an NF7 slots 1 & 2 would be considered 1 channel and slot 3 would be considered the other channel for 3 sticks of ram, so it would be dual channel with all three slots. Perhaps you're confused because of the ram total amounts. The total amount of ram for slots 1 & 2 have to be equal to the ram amount in slot 3, if I had 2 512 sticks in slot 1 & 2 and a 1 gig stick in slot 3 it would be indeed dual channel. I'm not sure where you got your information from but it's incorrect.

That's right. and if you had 4 slots with another 512 in the 4th you'd have dual dual channel not quad channels. Although I did run a 512mb and a 256mb in dual channel successfully on my shuttle.

bah, i dont have my older screenies anymore, they are gone, so i cant back myself up. but i had 2* 256s in dimm 0+1, and my ocz 512 in dimm3. was running 200fsb, 2.5-3-3-6, becasue i was limited byt he pc2700 at the time. cpuz and everything else said dual channel, its just like houserat said mang.

HousERaT said:

You are correct I've read.
If I put my TWINX1024-3200LLPT sticks (2x512) in slots 1 & 2, will I have issues matching a 1GB stick to these to place in Slot 3? Is it worth my trouble? (I mean, if there's a 95% chance of another stick working, I'd do it).

Grimdeath said:
You are correct I've read.
If I put my TWINX1024-3200LLPT sticks (2x512) in slots 1 & 2, will I have issues matching a 1GB stick to these to place in Slot 3? Is it worth my trouble? (I mean, if there's a 95% chance of another stick working, I'd do it).
HousERaT- is correct here,as ive owned many nf2 mobos and scefficaly the nf7-s

you will need to find a 1gb stick that will oc as well as the other 2 you own now.but even then it usually stil wont oc as high.but works non-the less.

deathstar13 said:
HousERaT- is correct here,as ive owned many nf2 mobos and scefficaly the nf7-s

you will need to find a 1gb stick that will oc as well as the other 2 you own now.but even then it usually stil wont oc as high.but works non-the less.

I'm not even overclocking ram (200Mhz FSB). I have read that even two identical sticks may not run in dual channel; now I'm considering two completely different sticks (well, 2 the same, 1 different)....

Grimdeath said:
I'm not even overclocking ram (200Mhz FSB). I have read that even two identical sticks may not run in dual channel; now I'm considering two completely different sticks (well, 2 the same, 1 different)....
if 2 identical sticks dont run in dual channel then something is bad,memory or mobo.
if your not ocing it will run dual channel with no issues with 2x512 and 1x1gb.
you may need a little more voltage added to the chipset or memory but other than that it should be no issue.

HousERaT said:

that's correct!
that's why i am confuse when NF2 got 3 memory slot,
but got answered @ ABIT forum :D

PS: to thread starter, Dual channel don't bring u major improvement unless u using on chip VGA, why? becos athlon only used "double pumped" not Intel "quad pumped" when u used intel u need dual channel or run DDR @ FSB 400 :O to go optimal :)
for athlon no need :D

Back