• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tygon - What am I doing wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LycanT

Registered
Purchase my 1/2" - 1/8" walled tygon tubing from frozencpu.com and I am struggling to see its advantages... Here is a picture what I was hoping to do with it. But everytime I try something it either kinks or flattens out.

tygon.jpg

Can someone offer some advise?

Cheers
Andrew

yup i had the same dam problem. i now have fatter tubing which feels great, i had SO many kinks before with tygon and thin walls. tygon is GREAT tubing but the thin walls dont cut it with our tight fit applications. i had coolsleeves too!! and STILL KINKED IN THE COOLSLEEVES!! unbelievably kinkable just get new tubing, because either way it'll kink, even if you fix it for now
trust me

-nstabl

So when frozencpu put in their comments for the product "(wall thickness 1/16" / total wall thickness 1/8")" means its not 1/8"?

Main problem is I imported this stuff from the US to new zealand. it ended costing me over $80NZ! and I swear frozencpu have changed their description since I ordered it :( Totally gutted.

Have you considered switching to 7/16? It can make curves better and that is what you want if you plan on cooling both GPUs. There is a thread detailing why it is better than 1/2 and where to buy it. Someone said that 1/2 was more than needed anyway. I am not sure how true that is but I will try to find the thread for you.

Oh and the reason Tygon is considered the better brand is that it has thicker walls and won't kink as often.

Have you thought about replacing the section that kinks with an actual piece of curved copper piping? It'll probably spoil the looks a bit and you'll need a few more clamps but at least you'll get rid of the kinks.

7/16, for sure... You can take care of that kink with a 90º barbed elbow and clamps for now until you get the 7/16" stuff. The elbows and any other possible opening in the system present a leak hazard in any case. I personally went to all the blcks with the medical grade rubber-like tubing, (its tan in color, but noone sees it but me anyway) which flexes and bends real well. (Its getting too warm out here, need to chill the water.....Hmm)

Ouck man, I ordered $60 worth of Tygon from Frozen CPU last year, and same thing, I didn't realize it was 1/16" walled stuff. That totaly sucks.

If you really are desperate, you can try putting the tube in boiling water, drying it off, and working it while warm. Being that this is a trick commonly used on vinyl tubing, i'm not too sure it it'll work here. Then again, something's better then nothing.

Evil_Eye said:
If you really are desperate, you can try putting the tube in boiling water, drying it off, and working it while warm. Being that this is a trick commonly used on vinyl tubing, i'm not too sure it it'll work here. Then again, something's better then nothing.

It will work, If you have a big enough pan (Like a HUGE stew pot) boil soem water, drop the tubing in there for a minute, and then mount. If thats not a possobility, fill your bath tub or a buckt with soem REALLY hot water (boiling if possible, and do the same thing, leave in longer if the water is not at boiling temp)

You might be against it from an aesthetic perspective, but I think if you were to use a longer piece of tubing, the kink would not be present, as you wouldn't need to do such a tight turn.

yeah... the frozen CPU stuff is 1/2" ID x 5/8" OD w/ 1/16" wall - this stuff will kink easier than f'in cheapo home depot vinyl tubing... its kinda sad that frozencpu actually sells this stuff

LycanT said:
So when frozencpu put in their comments for the product "(wall thickness 1/16" / total wall thickness 1/8")" means its not 1/8"?

Main problem is I imported this stuff from the US to new zealand. it ended costing me over $80NZ! and I swear frozencpu have changed their description since I ordered it :( Totally gutted.

Yes that is unfortunately what it means.

Sounds like a job for Swiftech Coolsleeves.

I've used a u-tube from usplastics.com for another application; it's a vinyl tube that's pre-bent into a U shape.

For tight turns on your SLI setup, I would use 1/8" or thicker walled Braided/Nylon reinforced tubing.(Some places label this tubing as 'high pressure braided tubing)
prodb444xib.jpg

Tygon also makes Anti-Kink tube casings if you want the bling factor. :p
FCCF_AntiKink.jpg

In my h20 setup, I use traditional tygon, but for one bend I used one section of braided tygon tubing, as it has superior anti kink properties. (the one tube pictured in the bottom right shows this braided tubing)

squasher said:
I have never seen that braided material before, I might have to look into it. Do you have anymore info on it?

Here is the Tygon braided tubing:

http://tygon.com/Data/Element/Node/ProductLine/product_line_edit.asp?ele_ch_id=L0000000000000001499

Also in the States, all Ace Hardware stores sell PVC braided tubing by the foot, while it's not Tygon, it is durable and works well. I've done a couple systems with the ACE Hardware PVC braided tubing and it works well and is very difficult to kink.

Ace Hardware Braided tubing:

pACE2-963726dt.jpg

PS Toilet plumbing and Dishwasher return lines use Braided tubing, this pic will show the anti kinking properties from a simple Dishwasher return line coiled up for sale.

pACE2-961863reg.jpg

Back