• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ocz Ddr2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I recently saw that OCZ has DDR2 PC2-6400 (800mhz). I can get this is two 512mb sticks as a set for $240. Is this worth it, and is it any good?

all of the OCZ DDR2 stuff is great ram, but i don't that anyone is gonna reach the true capability of a 400mhz FSB without using a higher FSB:RAM multip (ram multi higher than CPU), so i suggest you take a look at some of their DDR2-533 or DDR2-667 EB Platinum sticks which have much better latencies

My OCZ EB rev 2 PC2-4200 can do DDR2-700 using 3-2-2-8 timings. My Kingston HyperX PC2-5400 will do DDR2-800. Why do you need PC2-6400 RAM?

Running the memory faster than FSB don't really help very much with performance. The old tried and true 1:1 ratio still seems to be the best.

I see no reason to get anything faster than DDR2-5400. Like Sneaky said, go for something with low latencies.

nono, it supports memory speed that fast, meaning it has FSB : RAM dividers higher than normal boards to allow you to run the RAM faster than the FSB, rather than at a normal 1:1 ratio, so memory at that speed is not required, and you'd be much better off with a set of RAM w/ lower latencies - i'd suggest the OCZ EB (Platinum) PC2-4200/DDR2-533, which overclocks EXTREMELY well, and is very affordable as well (read my PM about this as well :thup: )

Back