• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe overclocking issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kazachok

I just purchased this board with Pentium 4 650 and Corsair 5400UL memory and was trying to overclock it, but have some issues doing so.
Everything went smoothly with the memory: set it to 3-2-2-7-7 1-Clock and voltage to 2.1V.
With the processor I increase FSB to 943Mhz and the total speed of it is 4.01GHz, but it only shows that speed during the POST.
When I booted into the OS (Windows XP Pro SP2) the processor speed is still at 3.4GHz!
I tried all kind of different things but no luck to see the speed of 4.01GHz in CPU-Z or in SiSoftSandra.

Here are the settings that I got in BIOS:
Overclocking mode: Manual
Frequency control: CPU/Memory independent (943MHz – FSB, 675MHz – Memory)
Intel Speed Step: Disabled.

Is there anything that I forget to set so that I will see the correct speed in Windows?

My PC configuration:
Board: ASUS P5ND2-SLI Deluxe
BIOS: 0707 Beta
CPU: Pentium 4 650 @3.4Ghz
Memory: Corsair XMS2 DDR2 5400UL (3-2-2-8) @ 2.1Volts
Video: 2 X XFX 6800GT PCI-Express
PSU: PC Power and Cooling 510-SLI

Thank you for your help.

Kaz :shrug:

:welcome: to the forums
I am not familiar with that mb, but I had a problem like that a while ago, did you save settings before exiting bios? Just a start, i am sure more knowledgeable people will reply shortly.

Hey, thanks for the response and here is the link to another thread that I posted regarding this issues:
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=209466#209466

The BIOS settings are saved every time I change it, it posts with the new CPU speed. It just doesn't stay at that speed when it boots into Winduhs. I think there is some kind of flag that I need to disable, I just don't know which one. Or, it could be the bios issue, eventhough I updated to the latest (beta) from asus. The original BIOS will not handle RAID correctly.

Thanks.
Kaz

I'm currently having the same problem after I flash to the 0708 bios...When I change the settings in the bios, it posts with the higher cpu speed but it doesn't register in the OS. Also, the benchmark doesn't change so there is obviously no changes taking effect outside of the default...I'm trying to figure it out now...I'm really just trying to find an older bios at the moment....

Try to turn off the powersaver in windows.. The EIST and whats it name again. Just spawning.
Waiting for the AW8 and a 650 myself so. If it turns out bad, it will be the P5.

//Christian

So far this dual core cpu (830) is pi** - ing me off...It keeps freezing and, on top of that, cpu-z is reading one core 200 megahertz lower than the other one...I'm hoping it's a problem with cpu-z...

Now using bios 0708 again...

sorry to spam but for some reason (in cpuz) one core has a multiplier of 15 which is what it should be...the other cpu has a multiplier of 14...not sure I will be able to find a solution to this one as it occures in all bios versions for the motherboard....

CPUz is messed up for me too. Windows and CPUID say my 570JES is at 3800mhz and CPUz says 2800, and CPUz says 1.21 vcore but nTune says 1.365, so im not using CPUz right now until a new version is out.

So, through exhaustive testing, it seems the P5ND2-SLI will initially read one cpu core lower than the other, supposedly, due to the speed stepping. It's supposedly stepping one cpu down until it is used. Theoretically. It did the exact same thing on each cpu...load defaults, turn off full screen logo and check it out...

My computer will freeze at home within 10 to 20 minutes....After almost a week of testing, no matter what I do, it will freeze withing 10 to 20 minutes. So, I finally bring it into the computer store and it doesn't freeze at all. So, it must be when I'm hooked up to the net, me-thinks....

It's looking more and more like being connected to the net is the issue so I'm doing a re-install and will use the disk to install the drivers this time instead of the old "right click and update" method. maybe I need a bridge or something that needs to be installed like my old board....

That said, I was running Prime 95 on each core while scanning with agv virus scanner and running 3DMark 2005...didn't flinch...makes me liking dual core...wish I could get it to stop freezing...

So here's what I got.

The bios on the motherboard is not holding the bios. Or, at the very least, the bios on this motherboard is pretty flakey. What do I mean? Well, first of all, I have digital pics to prove the following (my e-mail on this is old so don't e-mail me).

I will boot up, go into bios, and I will suddenly have magical cpu bios settings appear. I will be able to turn off speed stepping and hyperthreading etc.. I reboot and, of course, it freezes in dual core mode. I reboot again, I magically loose the "extra" bios settings and have a knee capped version with three options. It reboots, it's in single core mode and works like a charm. No hyperthreading though. So, I basically have interrmitant extra bios control. When I have the control I need for dual core, it boots into dual core and freezes. Nice. So, I'm basically running a celeron D with 1 meg cache to run it at all....extra nice...

So, I may as well return the core and get an athlon and overclock it. An athlon doesn't have hyperthreading. Neither does this dual core.

The P5ND2-SLI is a totally flakey motherbaord. The cpu isn't the issue, it is in fact the motherbaord.

Think I'm going to have an easy time returning this motherboard? No, because the computer store pirates will make my life difficult trying to tell me I'm wrong until I waste hours proving I'm right. Will they swap the motherboard or refund or exchange it? No, they will rma it, taking a valuable six weeks out of my computing life. I have many strong words for asus but they are very very misleading in saying this motherboard supports dual core processors.

Is AMD any better? No in that they are introducing the x2 athlon at rediculously high prices and missing an oprotunity to trounce intel...super extra double nice....

all I can do is return the core, that I bought at a different better computer store, and build an athlon system. Funny, I sold off my sli athlon to go sli intel...big mistake...big loss of money...

I'm only able to finish this post because my cpu is in single celron D 1 meg cache mode...

I would be effectively silenced in dual core mode...maybe that is their plan...can't use your computer? Can't complain then...at least online...

Back