• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heat Pipe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winterhavok

I am wanting to create a heat pipe to cool my processor, I want to use a liquid heat exchanger (condenser/evaporator) and I was wondering what are my options as far as the parts go? I am looking to make the cheapest cooling system possible, but maintain the integrity of the purpose (I don't want it to run worse than stock hsf). Any advice, suggestions and/or information, would be greatly appreciated.

manufacturing heatpipes isn't really feasible in terms of most peoples access to required machinery not to mention money wise. been mentioned in a few threads in the past.

But what are you trying to do??

"liquid heat exchanger" = anything that uses water. As in water block + pump + radiator + water

"condenser and evaporator" = chiller territory. As in vapochill. Or a water chiller. Very sub-ambient temps is the aim for people who use these things.

Sure you are using the right terminology?

Trying to follow here. Do you mean yuo want to use phase change cooling? Or are you asking to build a heat pipe like those found in newer heat sinks?

If you are contimeplating buildign your own heat pipes, i woudl have to think it would be far easier to just buy a new heatsink.

oooh, um heatpipe manufacturing at home? i dont think so. You'll need some real equipment, starting with the ability to make molds, and melting solid copper. and injecting gas , while removing all the air, so you'll need a vacuum. I don't think you can pull it off, sorry

The way I was looking at it, place the evaporator on the CPU, placing the condenser at the back of the case, linking the two with 2 pipes, one where the heated refrigerant that is placed in the pipe from the evaporator to the condenser, where it is cooled down by conduction and then moved back to the evaporator through the second pipe as a cycle.

heatpipeschematic5mu.jpg

1 - Schraeder Valve
2 - Lead (not Pb) Pipe
3 - CPU (under evaporator)
4 - Evaporator
5 - Return pipe
6 - Condenser
7 - HSF
8 - Case

Best schematic I could do with MS Paint.

Jas said:
Sounds more liek you are thinking of a phase change cooler. Check the extreme cooling section.

eh I thought so too but I thought he said compressor (I even typed condenser :( ).

I'll look for the link but what he's talking about has been done before but it sucked. It does work like a heatpipe but with a return valve and no wick. The evaporator is just a water block and the condenser is just a radiator.

Making a large scale one can be done from home:
http://www.benchtest.com/heat_pipe1.html
That shows how to inject the pressurized r134a.

But the example I saw used very small small copper tubbing. Like 2-3mm ID. I dont know exactly just saw a picture. Pretty sure it was in some thread that talked about that vapochill micro... Was a small copper block with what looked like a heatpipe but was in a loop. Dont think it was r134a though.

edit---------

HA! Found it

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=11425

Look where they start talking about thermosyphon's. Not heatpipes.

sounds like one of the new vapochill micro heatsinks... i highly doubt that anyone has the capability to manufacture one of these at home though

Sneaky said:
sounds like one of the new vapochill micro heatsinks... i highly doubt that anyone has the capability to manufacture one of these at home though

I never really got how the vapochill micro worked. Thought it had to have a return line but whatever :)

If he's like a fridge repair guy and/or has tons of soldering experience with that small copper tube stuff maybe he'd have a shot. Doubt anyone could build the radiator though. Would have to find one of acceptable design. The ones that use that small copper tube do that up and down multiple pass design so he couldnt use those...

the vapochill micro is basically a heatsink w/ large diameter heatpipes filled with a refridgerant... i'm kinda boggled as to how it differes from normal heatpipes as well

MaxiumumPC did an article on this several years ago. A sealed, closed loop heatpipe arrangement using distilled water. Not a heatpipe in the conventional respect - more a phase change solution. Amusing nonetheless, it is a dated setup that will yield poor results with today's hot chips.

consumer9000 said:
MaxiumumPC did an article on this several years ago. A sealed, closed loop heatpipe arrangement using distilled water. Not a heatpipe in the conventional respect - more a phase change solution. Amusing nonetheless, it is a dated setup that will yield poor results with today's hot chips.
I beg to differ, You'll find many heatpipes are acctually just that Pure water under low pressure.

What defines a heatpipe is a confined tube with a wick structure and a hollow core, sealed, often under vacuum. The wick structure is saturated with a coolant: water, ammonia, alcohol etc are common choices. Once the heat source reaches the boiling point of the coolant, it boils and evaporates, traveling up the hollow core, and condensing into liquid and releasing it's latent heat. The condensate then trickles back down aided by gravity or through a purely capillary action to the heat source to repeat the cycle...

Back