• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc4000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TekeTorvo

I don't have much time to type, but something came to mind today at work, and this is probably the single thing keeping me from understanding how to OC.

I hear alot about dividers, and I partially understand them. Yes I have read all the stickies. I have printed them up, and taken them to work with me and read them over and over. I still don't quite get it, but I think I figured out why I don't get it. When I solve this brain teaser, I might understand it.

I bought PC4000 that is in my Sig. I bought it for the very reason, that I did understand that raising my FSB would also raise the speed of all my components, especially my RAM. If my RAM couldn't handle being over 200Mhz x2 =400Mhz, then I would have to use a Divider. Well, I bought RAM rated at 500Mhz, and it still doesn't OC past,,,,,well,,,it has been awhile so I forget how high I got. But I know it wasn't past x12 = 2400Mhz. As I write this I am thinking I need to up the voltage to my RAM. It is at Stock settings. I will send this and reboot and find out exactly what my RAM voltage is.

*EDIT* 2.6v

Last edited:
Know Nuttin said:
you should lower your multiplier and then increase your FSB.

Can you explain why I need to lower my Multiplier? I bought PC500 so I wouldn't need to.

This is where I am confused.

TekeTorvo said:
I hear alot about dividers, and I partially understand them. Yes I have read all the stickies. I have printed them up, and taken them to work with me and read them over and over. I still don't quite get it, but I think I figured out why I don't get it. When I solve this brain teaser, I might understand it.

Divider = memory speed:CPU speed. The bios assumes your CPU speed is 200FSB.
So setting your memory in your bios to run at 100FSB would be a 1:2 divider.

You should have this option set to default in the bios, that way your memory will be running 1:1 with your CPU. With the memory you have you should not need to run a divider.

coustang said:
With the memory you have you should not need to run a divider.

That's what I thought, sooo. Why can't I OC past 11.5x200=2300Mhz? Do I need to up the voltage from 2.6?

TekeTorvo said:
That's what I thought, sooo. Why can't I OC past 11.5x200=2300Mhz? Do I need to up the voltage from 2.6?
You can probably safely raise your voltage to 2.8/2.85. Once you do that, you need to work on lowering your multiplier and raising your FSB.

PC4000 memory can be run at 250FSB and above. If your computer doesn't run at these speeds then the weak spot may be your processor (or Motherboard \/\/\/\/\/).

Last edited:
reason you lower the multiplier is to ensure that your CPU does not stop you from reaching your desired FSB/memory speed.

Not to burst your bubble in your hopes of reaching 250FSB (and thus 250mhz memory) but every Asus A7N8X board (regardless of -E, deluxe, -X, -E Deluxe) hasn't faired well past 235. I usually max out at about 237 or so.

Good luck.

Know Nuttin said:
Not to burst your bubble in your hopes of reaching 250FSB (and thus 250mhz memory) but every Asus A7N8X board (regardless of -E, deluxe, -X, -E Deluxe) hasn't faired well past 235. Good luck.

No bubble busted here. I have read the Un-Godly amounts of post's about this God Forsaken Mobo. But, alas, spending 70 bucks on a new Mobo, when I am so close to AMD64, isn't a reality right now.

I need to correct my first quote I did of you. You said lower my Divider, and I took that as running the CPU faster than my RAM, but what you meant was run my RAM faster. My apologies.

Back