• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Im going 2gb.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sempai said:
Im using it for gaming so the timings mean squat to me.
Im looking at this stuff, Gigaram, anyone tried this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820221127

Im wondering if ill get good results on an msi k8neo2.

If it does 225 ill be happy as a june bug..

I think you got it all wrong.

Timings would be important to those that are heavy gamers and/or benchmarkers.

Simply put, the average person does not need 2 GB of memory. Period. Such luxuries need only be reserved for those that are big into graphic design or some other professional design component.

2GB of memory does have its uses, but only under non-gaming circumstances. So unless you plan on breaking out 3D Studio Max or Photoshop, you'll be wasting your money.

deception``

deception`` said:
I think you got it all wrong.

Timings would be important to those that are heavy gamers and/or benchmarkers.

Simply put, the average person does not need 2 GB of memory. Period. Such luxuries need only be reserved for those that are big into graphic design or some other professional design component.

2GB of memory does have its uses, but only under non-gaming circumstances. So unless you plan on breaking out 3D Studio Max or Photoshop, you'll be wasting your money.

deception``

I have to disagree here, ive had 2gb of ocz 3200 but it didnt want to oc at all..
Having 2gb over my 1gb made a huge difference in WoW and EQ2..along with less hdd thrashing in games like doom3 and HL2..

I realize windows tells me its only using 400'ish system memory while playing WoW but i dont care what it says the difference in lagforge is huge.

Edit: ..And just for the record i appreciate your opinion and advice i really dont need to get into the "you dont need 2gb" argument, i already know it makes a difference in games for me, id just like to know if someone has had good results with the gigaram or any other set of 2x1gb sticks that will allow me to mildly oc, thx. :)

Heh, those games don't even start to fill up a gig. Try turning off some of the useless processes that are wasting your resources. Ram Timings == a lot more important than amount of ram for gaming (if you have atleast one gig ^^). You're probably having problems with available ram due to excess processes; that would be why 2 gigs would let you get better performance. I say you try to optimize your computer so you have enough ram free from 1 gig, and get the best timings you can out of it. I was able to run 2 WoW clients at the same time on one gig of ram :cool: (thanks WinEQ!) Just my $.02. Try getting a better VCard if forge or MC AoE is raping you. I had the same problem but after a nice Vcard upgrade, it all faded away. If you really wanna keep 2 gigs, go ahead. I see no real reason why, though :shrug: . I have had no problems with any game lag-wise with 1 gig.

Last edited:
After playing the BF2 demo I've had to reconsider my position on 2 gigs of ram. If things keep going at the rate they are 2gb will be the rule rather than the exception.

I have 2gigs with no regrets ....

BF:V uses about 1.04gig and Silent Hunter 3 (sub sim) uses 1.2gig just to name a few .

If buy chance you use Windows x64 , then 2gigs is not unheard of , being that x64 is capable of using up to 4gig of memory .

Also considering how cheap memory is these days (the lowest prices in over two years), including your basic DDR2 ; then 2gigs is definitly not out the question . If I were to build a newer Intel/AMD (64bit) system today , then I myself would definitly go with 2gigs .

question: your motherboard has 4 memory slots doesnt it? unless things have improved the last time I looked at 1gig sticks they were slower than thier 2*512 counterparts. I would honestly suggest buying 4*512 if you want a gig, plus it will allow for larger range of quality (and better timmings/speeds) RAM.

just my .02c

*edit* which your statement aobut not finding gig faster than 3500 leads me to beleive that it hasnt improved since I last went shopping for RAM for my main rig.

MikeyB said:
After playing the BF2 demo I've had to reconsider my position on 2 gigs of ram. If things keep going at the rate they are 2gb will be the rule rather than the exception.

i second that statement , BF2 is a serious ram hog. With Teamspeak, irc and norton running in the background it gets a bit choppy. Out of curiousity i set up the bios accordingly and popped in my mushkins. 4x512 now BF2 runs smoooth like butta.

I got a question, when you run 2x1GB...that's 1T correct?

Gamers are already starting to make the move to 2GB of RAM across the forums from what i've seen. 2GB will become more of a reality in the coming months and 1GB will slowly die out like 512MB did as newer and better games are released. You'll want 2GB of RAM for sure when Longhorn comes around. I'm personally ok with a gig of RAM for right now and the games i play but i may add in another 2x512MB or switch to 2x1GB when the time comes.

a week ago I woulda though you people were crazy saying 2gb of RAM...but I played BF2 and it humbled my dual xeon rig with 1gb of RAM. But the good news is I got another gb of PC3200 coming and it's only 80 bucks!

pik4chu said:
question: your motherboard has 4 memory slots doesnt it? unless things have improved the last time I looked at 1gig sticks they were slower than thier 2*512 counterparts. I would honestly suggest buying 4*512 if you want a gig, plus it will allow for larger range of quality (and better timmings/speeds) RAM.

just my .02c

*edit* which your statement aobut not finding gig faster than 3500 leads me to beleive that it hasnt improved since I last went shopping for RAM for my main rig.
That would put him at 2T and cost him 600mb/s theo. bandwidth.

Senater_Cache said:
That would put him at 2T and cost him 600mb/s theo. bandwidth.
ok Im aware of all RAM timings/settings except the #T seems to be a recent mention about, care to elaborate what that is/means? I know 1T is the 'best' or atleast I assume so but how does going from 2->4 sticks change that automatically?

and sorry for the small threadjack

pik4chu said:
ok Im aware of all RAM timings/settings except the #T seems to be a recent mention about, care to elaborate what that is/means? I know 1T is the 'best' or atleast I assume so but how does going from 2->4 sticks change that automatically?

and sorry for the small threadjack

the memory controller on the a64 will go to 2T (1 command every 2 clocks) with 4 sticks vs the 1T (1 command every clock) with 2 sticks. Its just an issue with the memory controller which has been getting better as you look at the advancement of the a64. Personally I would got for 2 1 gigabyte sticks which is more future proof than 4x512mb. Also I lost about 600mb/sec of bandwidth switching from 1T to 2T no idea about real world performance but if anyone wants me to I can benchmark that.

SewerBeing said:
the memory controller on the a64 will go to 2T (1 command every 2 clocks) with 4 sticks vs the 1T (1 command every clock) with 2 sticks. Its just an issue with the memory controller which has been getting better as you look at the advancement of the a64. Personally I would got for 2 1 gigabyte sticks which is more future proof than 4x512mb. Also I lost about 600mb/sec of bandwidth switching from 1T to 2T no idea about real world performance but if anyone wants me to I can benchmark that.
ohhh, so basically its an issue with the board/chipset, not the RAM per-say? or are there no boards that can run 4*512 with 1T? What RAM were you using when you switched bteween 1 and 2T? (speeds/timings). and we are still talking DDR, not DDR2 right?

Back