• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slide Show

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

Ed said:
It seems clear AMD plans to eventually deepen their pipeline, and they think they can get more performance from doing so. AMD has more leeway than Intel here, and having a deeper pipeline could help heat issues.

so it seems that AMD want to make a 'netburst' like CPU (beeg pipeline, lots of cache) and Intel are putting their money in chips which look a lot more like Athlons of old (leetle pipeline, leetle cache). Anyone read the quote in my sig? :)

Can you post a link to the article if it's not too much trouble?

I didn't know that Intel was moving towards processors with less pipelines and less cache, I thought that they would follow the success of the Pentium M's for their future processors which currently have 2 MB cache I believe. However, I will take that back if what I read in the article is different.

I also noticed that DDR2 and PCI-e are only going to have about a 2-year lifespan. I'll stick with DDR1 and AGP for now thank-you.

What i meant was that more cache is more helpful on P4 like designs partly because they make lots of failed branch predictions partly because they rely on a northbridge memory controller causing higher latency (so it's nice to have a huge L2/L3 cache). As we have seen on the short pipeline semprons, halving the cache to 256K often has very little impact on performance (hence the 128K semprons). I just thought it was funny that AMD was moving toward designs that would NEED more cache and intel after getting their fingers burnt with the P4 (northwood was ok, but willy and pressie were hardly great) seem to be moving back to a more athlon like design (well more PPro/P2/P3 but certianly not very netburst like).

theMonster said:
I also noticed that DDR2 and PCI-e are only going to have about a 2-year lifespan. I'll stick with DDR1 and AGP for now thank-you.

I'm pretty sure the PCI-E Gen II thing will still run PCI-E hardware, just you would need a Gen 2 mobo to use any gen 2 hardware. Didn't the original PCI haver versions as well?

Back