• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rotating Memory Chips ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dennyamd

Registered
What happens if you rotate your memory chips, as in tires ?

Thus, if you have 2 sticks of RAM, you can exchange their places.
Are there any benefits to this ? Somewhere I heard that if you put your RAM in place, leave it there unless you have to pull it out i.e. for an upgrade and only if it's being swapped for a larger-capacity chip.

But then if you have to pull out your memory for other reasons, will it make sense to swap it ? i.e. I was testing my memory for single and dual channel configurations and was pulling it out to see what happens.

hee hee. makes no sense to me to switch Ram in and out, the only reason they tell you not to is that if you do it on an often enough basis you could wear out the contacts like a lot of people did with the original 8-bit Nintendo NES cartridges. The only reason you rotate your tires is because they do not support 25/25/25/25/ weight distribution and by rotating them it helps them wear more evenly, but there's no reason to do it with ANY hardware, let alone ram chips.

Sometimes sticks work better in one slot rather than the other. If it works fine, don't change it. If you have a ram problem, switching slots sometimes helps.

I switched my chips and they seem to perform better.
i.e. 4729 vs 4754 MB/s on SiSoft Sandra. (Int)
Not a conclusive test perhaps, as I didn't run it rigorously many times, but I did run it a few times to make sure. So I'll leave them as they are now, switched.

Back