• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will any Intel mobo be able to run DDR2 5400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
I have accuired a LGA775 motherboard through a trade (not sure what model it is because it was just thrown in since he as several supposedly) and I know it's an Intel engineering sample board with one of the 915 chipsets. I was wondering if this board would be able to take DDR 5400 assuming I oc my CPU? Does it take more voltage to reach 5400 speeds than it would take to say run 4200 speeds? Also, what mobos support DDR-6400? I assume you would need to run your FSB at 400MHz which quad-pumped would be 1600MHz.

wow you switch between formats here is the memory ddr or ddr2? depending, either way its the same basis as the older p4 systems, the memory ocing depends on your fsb. Just because it can only take 3200 as max, doesn't mean the 5400 isn't gonna work. People are running ddr2 5400 here with no issues.

Maybe engineering samples are different, but OCing an Intel board will be difficult since they typically will not allow you to change fsb or voltages, or lock the PCI bus.
Any memory speeds should work in the board but will default to the optimal speed the board will allow.

The only boards that nativly support DDR667 and 800 would be either the i945P or i955X chipsets. Other than that only the i925XE supports 667.

Sure you could overclock it, but it wont be native. Plus I cant promise you will even get that far, especially on an i915

Back