• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First WC Build, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amrathe

Okay, here's the deal. In the next few weeks I plan to buy what I call my dream system. I also want to make my first attempt at a watercool build. I've read the stickies (they helped ALOT) Here are my planned parts.

CPU - AMD X2 4400 (Of course I want to OC.. I can't live with "stock" anything)
MB - DFI Lanparty
Video - 2x BFG 6800 Ultra
Memory - OCZ Extreme Voltage
Pump - Swiftech MCP350 (I plan to do the mod to up the Flow Rate)
CPU Block - Swiftech MCW6000-64 for AMD® K8 Athlon™64 & Opteron™
Radiator - ThermoChill HE120.2
Case - ThermalTake Armor Full Tower (It looks like I can put the rad up in the front with very little modifications to the case)
Fans - Either Delta 120's or Sunon 120's

Here is my big question.... Should I cool the Water Cool the 6800 Ultras? If so, what block would fit on these in an SLI setup? If I do put blocks on the 6800 Ultras, will the rad I picked be enough? Or would I want a 120.3? If I did that would I want to run pump > Cpu > GPU > GPU > Rad > or go pump > CPU > Y to GPU's - Y back to Rad?

Thanks for any input you can give.

I second won hon said, might wana go with a triple sized rad. I would also throw in maybe going with the new Liang d5 (mcp655) for a pump over the 350.

If I decided not to water cool the GPU's (Since they come already OC'd) You think they would kill my temps on my CPU?

Basically I am not sure I want a triple Rad. Finding a good spot for that without demolishing the case seems difficult.

Well, a double sized rad would PROBABLY work fine. You won't get record setting temps but would definately be better and more stable than air. You'd be looking at needing some good airflow through the rad though so high powered fans would be a must.

I have a pair of Sunon 120's.. (About 109CFM each if I recall correctly). Figured those 2 on a pull configuration would give me some good water temps.

Amrathe said:
I have a pair of Sunon 120's.. (About 109CFM each if I recall correctly). Figured those 2 on a pull configuration would give me some good water temps.
if not (and maybe just to try) u should put 2 more fans on the rad. having the rad sandwiched between 4 fans (on a double rad) is the best way to go, just more noise. my temps dropped 10% when i doubled my fans

Back