• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 stick only reading in Windows as 448

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dreamstalker

This is on my mom's rig, no-frills Compaq.

Memory is one 512MB stick of PC2700; Windows reads it as only 448MB :eh?: and this happened relatively recently. I got bad-RAM beeps from the mobo before the drop.

CPU-Z detects the full 512MB. Memtest is finding no errors at all.

Thoughts? What ate that 64MB?

Yeah, thats the integrated graphics using your memory. You might be able to change how much memory it uses in the BIOS.

And since integrated graphics suck, feel free to set the onboard memory pretty low in the BIOS. 64mb isn't going to make it any faster than 32mb or 16mb, especially for word processing.

Defintily onboard graphics stealing the memory. If you boot a copy of linux it will tell you how much it takes.

it probably uses shared memory for the graphic card, so the graphic cards is eating the 64mb of ram, you may lower it but you can eliminate it if it is onboard video

Well it could also be that one or a pair of chips (depending if mem is HD or LD) has gone bad but the stick still works. That'd explain the beeps.

Ah...this thing does have integrated graphics so that could explain it except for the beeps I was getting awhile ago.

I was considering testing the 512 stick in another computer, but the Dell "footstool"--functional but not currently used for anything--in here is PC2100 and this runs 2700 so it probably won't work too well...it wouldn't tell me much anyway as I don't think it has onboard graphics (has an AGP card, but there's nothing in the specs about onboard capability).

Back