• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my settings kinda slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noitacifitrec

I recently built a new machine with an athlon 3000XP+ and an asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. I bet that comfit sounds familiar. Well the problem is that im using some old ram from my original dell. 1 stick of 256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) ; and a stick of 512 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-3-3-6 @ 133 MHz).
" . The computer is running at 200MHz external frequency and the FSB is 133MHz. I haven’t did any over clocking settings yet and everything is default.
My question is, does this sound like a slow type config? My brother has a slower processor and less ram, but has running PC3200 ram and his computer performs better than mine. My computer seems a lot faster than what I used to have, but it doesn’t have that powerful feel that my brother’s computer has, like running more than one program at once and experiencing no lag. If I was to get PC3200 and run at 400MHz, im guessing that would make a huge increace in speed?

Heres some information on my config, if you know what everest is :D
http://www.l33tkr3w.com/Report.htm

you need another stick of ram and run it with dual channel enabled.that will help almost more than anything.
after that id try [email protected] and increase the voltage on the ram up a bit.
may take some work but in the end will be much faster and rather cheap considering you would only need another 256mb of 2700 added.

So the ram config that i have now must obviously be the reason behind why im not getting the same type of speeds as my brother? Since he has less ram than me, im thinking its the type of ram (he has PC3200 and i have PC2700)

i think what deathstar13 was saying is that the reason your ram seems slow is that it's running in single channel. you need two sticks of the same size to run in dual channel.

moving from single channel to dual should give you a nice boost without having to buy two new sticks of 3200

xcuriousgeorge said:
i think what deathstar13 was saying is that the reason your ram seems slow is that it's running in single channel. you need two sticks of the same size to run in dual channel.

moving from single channel to dual should give you a nice boost without having to buy two new sticks of 3200
correct and after adding the sticks loosen the timings a bit so it will run 200fsb and then add some voltage to help them out.

so in the end you should be same speed as him or even faster depending if his is in dual channel as i doubt since his has lass ram.

you could oc yours now by adding the voltage and setting the timings to 200 2.5-4-4-8 if it does it.

also since your on the low end of not having much ram kill any extra services running in the task bar.that eats ram and uses your page file from the hard drive making a system seem like its got molasses in it.

Back