• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Decisions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clockless

I'm in the market for sum new ram rite now im running a cheapo 512 nstick of pc3200 and im rebuilding my machine. And have to decide weather to buy 2GiGs of sumthing like value select or 1GiG of sum good overclock ram I'm on about a 150$ ram budget and If ram is good with OC'ing I have a watercooled system. this will be on an abit IC7-G and I aslo plan on geting a 6600gt. plus running 2 80GB barracuda in a raid 0

IMO it'd be better to go with 1gig of some good OC'ing ram instead of 2gigs of something slower. unless you have a reason to need 2gigs, higher OC's will probably benefit you more.

What will you be doing? Gaming or what? You'll never really need 2GB of memory unless youre doing some hardcore video editing and such.

I will be doning lots of photoshop and dreamwerave and other image editing stuff and yes playing games so 1 gb over clockable would be better

Set windows system monitor or a similar program to complain when you go over 1GB and then use your computer as if running the pagefile wasn't slowing you down. If the alarm goes off, you'll be much better off with 2GB. If you're going to keep this RAM for a while, then you might want to set the alarm lower than 1GB to leave room for RAM-hungry software upgrades.

It depends what version of Photoshop you are planning to run. The 9.0 uses ram capriciously and you will need 2 gigs for sure. The 7.0 and 8.0 versions will run great on 1 gig. Good luck.

Back