• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water wetter additive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamel

i went to auto zone for some anti-freeze for my setup (i believe i may have found a gem, not sure though. it's called Prestone LowTox, it's specifically designed to be friendly to curious animals who may drink it, but it has active protection against corrosion of aluminum and such)

when i was there, i found a radiator additive called water wetter. from what i understand, making water wetter is just simply the practice of reducing its viscosity. i found this interesting, because i hypothesized that this may improve cooling by its heat absorbtion rating and flow rate. i was kinda hoping that maybe this would decrease the resistance in my setup, increasing the flow rate and/or decreasing the resistance?

am i totally confused about this or what? and, is it better to use the actual water cooling additives you find from online stores, or should i go with the one at auto zone? any information regarding this would be great.

just FYI, this is my first water cooling setup. it's a kit, i know, lol. but i got a deal on it that i couldn't pass up. if anything i can upgrade to better cooling later and re-sell this kit and probably get about the same out of it as i paid for it. it's the koolance exos (not the exos 2). any tips for a newbie as myself would be very much so appreciated.

I use water wetter in my car and it works great,since it has additives in it too, you dont need anti freeze(which reduces the cooling properties)anti freeze only lowers freeze point and raises boiling temp.

i use 100% distilled water with a few capfuls of water wetter in my wc. it consistently runs almost 5 degrees cooler than when i ran 90/10 distilled/antifreeze. water wetter will turn the water in your loop a nasty darkish red to almost brown, and it will stain your tubing. im running hi-liter ink as dye so it always looks fresh anyway. check out the link in the sig for pics

that looks sweet citronym, ill have to do that for my system once my pump comes in.. (first attempt) hehe

What about the notion that WW does cause this white junk to build up in your loop, and is really nasty with that respect. Unfortunately their are cons to everything you use in these systems.

I used water wetter when I had an H2O system and I did have white buildup after a while but I always liked to replace my water every 3 or 4 months...which is also why I dropped water after a while...didn't have the time with kids to devote more time to system maintenance.

I use Zerex, which is very similar to WW, although I don't get any staining or "buildup" from it.

WW is kinda smelly, zerex is to but not as pungent at WW.

yes, Jas is right, water wetter is smelly stuff. not recommended for open systems. mine is closed, and i never "catch a whiff" of it. I havent noticed any whitey buildups, and the kid who ran my wb before me was running water wetter (for 2 years) and there def wasnt any white stuff in there.

and yes, there is always ups and downs. thats what makes this forum powerful, andthing u do, someone will always be there to share a negative experience they had

wow, i don't know what it would have been without water wetter, because i never tried that, lol -- but it doesn't seem to hurt in the least.

but, i have a mobile xp 2600 and i cranked it all the way to 1.95vcore and it never got over 85F even with the fans at the lowest setting. i haven't primed it for several hours to heat up the water yet, but so far it looks like it's doing better than i expected.

well, sortof. the system still had anti-freeze from when i had it in before, but i would say it's about 2 parts water wetter, 1 part anti-freeze, and 10 parts water.

when i get unlazy enough, i'm gonna totally drain the system and put a mix of nothing but water wetter and distilled water in it.

I run a complete copper loop so i use 100% Distilled water with about 3 caps full of water wetter...

Been running almost 3 weeks now and the tubes are as clear as the day i bought them

Back