• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need ram recomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mindaugas

Registered
Finally building a new system, I'm so excited. I wanted to buy everything now, but realized the last time I did that I ended up selling a bunch of crap and buying beter stuff. So now I am researching till my eyes fall out. Anyway I am on RAM. Here is what I have so far:

3200+ Venice (plan on OC to 2.7GHz out of the box)
DFI UT nF4 Ultra-D
Saphire x800Pro 256MB PCI-e

I need to get 1GB of decent but cheap ($150 range) DDR. I don't know what speed though. I was thinking DDR400 but with oc that will be tough, or will it? So I figured if I got DDR500 I couldn't go wrong and found some high latency but cheap GeIL RAM

Do I need it to b that fast, or do I just need low latency and I will still be able to push past the 200MHz mark? I know its tough on a budget but I want to be able to bust open 2.7GHz asap :)

I was looking at these too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144141

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146950

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227204

Go with the 3rd newegg link, ocz gold vx. Winbound BH die UTT. You definitely cannot go wrong there with your mobo. The 2nd link I have no clue as to its chip id. With those ocz gold vx's you're looking at a clock of 250-260mhz 2-2-2-6 at 3.3-3.4v. I'm not completely sure of myself on the clock speeds, but go search the rest of the forum... you'll find plenty of juicy information :) good luck!

Edit: That first and second link might be ch-6 or some infineon chip. I'd definitely stay away until you know more about their nature.

Last edited:
awesome, thanks man. I was reading some stuff on the forum that was pointing me that way. Ok, RAM down, onto chassis lol. Hopefully these days of research will provide an awesome cheap rig. :) That's the goal anyway. I'll let you guys know what I bench and how much I can get out of it.

tresmonos,

"3200+ venice LBBLE 0516EPGW @ 2.53 1.54v"

How do you like that Venice? I'm getting one with the new rig. I plan on getting 2.7GHz out of the box, seems pretty easy.

I haven't gotten the system yet, still researching. I wanna make sure that everything is exactly the way I want it. the last PC I bought I ended up replacing all th ecomponents because I didn't look into anything. About the only thing I got lucky on was the video card, a 9600XT which worked out really well. That card still kicks a** :)

My chip seems to be a 'dud' venice. week 16 chips don't seem to be phenomenal and certainly respond better to DFI boards than mine. You will most likely get a stable 2.7 overclock, but be warned: there is a slight chance your chip will not overclock well if at all. I'm happy with a 20 hour prime stable, 500mhz overclock. It'll game easily at 2.6, but prime stability? Forget it. I think you've found a winning comibintation for a cost effective upgrade.

tresmonos said:
My chip seems to be a 'dud' venice. week 16 chips don't seem to be phenomenal and certainly respond better to DFI boards than mine. You will most likely get a stable 2.7 overclock, but be warned: there is a slight chance your chip will not overclock well if at all. I'm happy with a 20 hour prime stable, 500mhz overclock. It'll game easily at 2.6, but prime stability? Forget it. I think you've found a winning comibintation for a cost effective upgrade.

cool I'll let u know how it goes. I've read good things about the DFI board and the shop I used to work for was using them for P3 builds since the beginning. Even with bad caps during the P3 craze DFi was the only manufacturer we never saw go bad. Every Abit we sold went bad (over 1000 seriously), some MSI's, the few Epox's we did sell went bad too, Asus, etc. No one but DFI made a dependable P3 board.

Anyway, my fiance and I were planin on visiting Omaha this summer, my Grandma lives in Sioux City and I grew up in Omaha. Any decent LAN's there at all. The big one here, EverLAN, was canceled.

illskills719, I picked my chip up the 2nd day it was out (I think the 2nd week of May). I've hear some week 19 chips have been lame o/c'ers too. If I were you, I'd go into a retail store and hand pick your stepping. It'll be worth the extra $ if you do. mindagus, theres no big LAN events that I've ever heard of here. I commute into Omaha from about 30 min away... I know every november/december they have a few in Oakview mall here, but I'm not aware as to if they do that anymore. I could look ino it some more if you'd like. The only real attraction in Omaha is the college world series (which is going on right now) and the collosal zoo we have. It might be worth the trip down here alone. The old market (down town) is really nice: good food, excellent music - if you know where to find it, and some good bars.

Back