• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning out new WC components.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Acurax

Ok, so I recently got a ThemoChill HE120.3, DD Maze 4 Acetal GPU block, 2x MCP655's all brand new and a used Storm G4. Now I know its generally a good practice to rinse even new components before installing them in a WC loop, but I'm not sure what is enough. Is just rinsing with water enough for the new stuff? Or should I use white vinegar or vinegar/salt and soak it then rinse? Or something else?

Also, I'd like to clean the G4 out well, I plan on boiling it in a mix of vinegar/water, was wondering if that has any effect on the fittings sealed to it (not sure what the sealant is). Or perhaps I should get some CLR for it?

Any advice/opinions welcome...

I didn't bother cleaning any of my parts, and I haven't heard of anyone else cleaning them either when they are brand new. I might be wrong though, I don't read all that much. Brand new = clean in my eyes :shrug:

im thinkin the Maze4 and pumps are just fine. I guess most people just clean their HC's out since there is usually something unwanted in there--since I have a rad specifically designed for WCing, it might be fine too.

Most new blocks are already clean.
As far as other stuff, I fill a bucket with water, and take a few peices of extra tubing I have laying around, First I run the pump, just hook soem tubing to it, and let it draw water form the bucket to give it quick "rinse". Anyt other components I want to clean out, I will just add them into the "cleaning loop" for a quick run.

As far as radiators go, I pout some vinigar into them, and let them sit for about 30 minutes, then rinse them out, and then run them through a "cleaning loop" for a little while.

I usually just rinse out my new parts with water. Just fill them up with distilled water, let them sit for a few seconds, and dump them out. I do it just to wash out any metal/plastic shavings, or oil residues from manufacturing.

As for the storm, first diassemble it, and rinse everything in distilled water. Then make sure all of the jet holes, and cups in the block are free of clogs. If there is stuff lodged in them, dig it out with a q-tip, toothpick, or anything soft like that. No need for boiling, or using solvents/cleaners. Those might just damage the plastic top, o-rings, or sealant. Some chemicals could even do bad things to the copper.

just make sure you get the surface of the g4 nice and shiny for cooling :)

Thanks guys... soaked the copper G4 base in white vinegar/salt (1 cup vinegar to 1 Tbsp salt) and that shined it up pretty good. Rinsed everything with distilled water real good and made sure there was no junk anywhere. Its ready to go now :D

Back