• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Market is hot... Literally

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PoX Freak

http://www.overclockers.com/articles1237.html

I could kind of see this happening, but what will happen in the next few years when things really start cooking.
I remember reading somewhere that NF2 northbridges are as hot as the Pentium II, and if the trend keeps going, where will the northbridge be in 3 years?
Possibly as hot as the Athlon of old?

Some thoughts on this please.

mabe they'll start using fiberoptics instead of silicon soon, tha'd be insanely fast, and not to mention also cool im guessing.

I think some of the pics in the article depict a trend that has been a few years coming, with a heatpipe on a northbridge being a real eye-opener.

Some of those heatpipes for CPUs' look downright hulky.

they forgot about liquid metal cooling, although it isn't mainstream or very close yet.

Not even close yet. Think of all the gallium that would have to become mainstream in all home PCs...
I'm in the mindset that someone may come up with a 100% solid way to flow mercury in a system without hazard of a leak. If they do, maybe things might cool off for awhile until the newest chipsets and CPUs hit the market, pushing the heat dissipation envelope again.

PoX Freak said:
I'm in the mindset that someone may come up with a 100% solid way to flow mercury in a system without hazard of a leak. If they do, maybe things might cool off for awhile until the newest chipsets and CPUs hit the market, pushing the heat dissipation envelope again.

Even if you could flow mercury, it would be a waste of time.
mercury is not good for heat transfer. It has almost no ability to hold heat...
Much better products are already avalible for liquid cooling

don't forget that mercury is highly toxic as well, if it were to burst and get all over you or if it were to leak vapors then that could be pretty bad. I think phase and water are good enough.

I say we go to ceramic based cores, or diamonds in an ideal world, let them get as hot as they want it wont matter though since they won't be melting until insane temperatures.

Its true about mercury being toxic and all, and the fact that it doesn't transfer heat too well wouldn't make it very good for our setups.
What about totally enclosed, self sufficient phase change setups?
The only element i can think of would be gallium, which is too expensive for one, and the temps would have to be waaaay too high to use in phase change anyway.
what if you could find a somewhat safe and non-toxic mixture in which you add r134 and gallium together?
The gallium would just travel around the loop carried by the r134, i think.
IDK...

link doesn't work for me... Do I have to have a membership or what(I don't think its that though because I got a 404 Error)

I think the next big leap is going to be going to fiber optics...I think this will happen in the next 4-5 years.

Actually, elemental mercury isn't particularly toxic, no more so than, for example, lead, and how often do you hear of people getting lead poisoning from handling fishing sinkers? Mercury compounds such as HgCl2 are the materials involved in mercury poisoning, because they accumulate in body tissues and cause damage there. Unless you have a habit of keeping strong acids in or around your computer, a mercury leak would only be a mess to clean up; however, given the relatively high surface tension of mercury as opposed to water, it would take a significantly larger breach in the cooling system to cause a mercury spill than one might think.

Zio Matrix said:
Actually, elemental mercury isn't particularly toxic, no more so than, for example, lead, and how often do you hear of people getting lead poisoning from handling fishing sinkers?.

Um never and i live and grew up one the West Coast and have been handling weights like that since i was walking pretty much.
I also know people that have been using them for 40+ years and they seem to be doing alright...
Sorry, but thats just not a good example.

If you cook you food in copper you will get sick, so thats why we dont eat off copper plate, or eat our fishing weights. Handling the matterial is going to take alot of handling to get you sick

with time come sbetter ways of doing thins, i think things will become faster and cooler and more efficient - computers are still in an infancy stage really in the time line of life :D

Mr.Guvernment said:
with time come sbetter ways of doing thins, i think things will become faster and cooler and more efficient - computers are still in an infancy stage really in the time line of life :D

infancy... Just that word alone really made me think. I mean, I know you are right because technology is still blooming, but I think of the computers today as these super powerful machines...of course, they thought that back 10 years ago as well and now you can build a similar top-of-the-line machine for pocket change.

Our computers really are still infants and I can't wait until they are full-grown adults. Or maybe I can, that kinda scares me. I wonder what they will be able to do in a few years....

Back