• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Newegg saved CC info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

I know that in account options you have the option of saving your CC number on your account so you dont need to type it each time but how secure is this?

I have come to 2 conclusions

1. if you dont save it on your account then you need to enter it each time. This prevents your card being stolen if newegg servers are somehow hacked BUT if you somehow have a keylogger on your computer your cc number could be compromised when you type it in

2. If you save it on your account it saves time and you dont have to type it in each time (incase of keyloggers) BUT you have 2 bad things that could happen. Newegg servers could be hacked but whats more likely is that someone could guess YOUR password for your account and since your number is saved they can buy whatever they want

My question is, is newegg doing anything to tighten security or maybe verify more infomation so even if someone got into your account they would have to enter something to VERIFY that its actually the card owner and not some person who luckily guessed the password?

Paying by check seems like the most secure way but it takes long :bang head :bang head

you worry to much, just keep an eye on your statements, if you see somthing you didn't buy from newegg a quick call to newegg and your CC company will have it taken care of.

plus it also saves your address and its a little harder to have it shipped to a address other then whats on the card.

there is very little chance of your cc number falling into the wrong hands. it COULD happen, but i'm sure newegg takes all of the procautions necessary to protect you. That is the last thing that they want to happen, things like that ruin companys.

yeah, it is VERY difficult to get newegg, or most online retailers to let you ship an item you buy with a CC to another address that isnt listed with the bank of your credit card. I tried sending something i bought for a cousin who lives some distance from here, and a day or so after i sent in the order, i was called by the bank, and emailed from newegg. hah.

Newegg has a very tight security system, and our Fraud department works diligently to find any fraudulent activity going on. Lets say someone is able to guess your password and placed an order online. If our Verification and Fraud department find that the shipping address is not on file with your credit provider, then the order will not ship and you will be contacted. This is one of the main reasons why we call your credit provider and make sure that the addresses given are valid. Rest assured that our online security system is highly safe guarded, so that we can protect our customers and ourselves. In any case if you still do not trust the internet, then you may place your order using the "pre-paid check" payment method, and call us to provide your credit card information via telephone. In any case, you should be comfortable using your personal information online at Newegg.com

Best Regards,
Jason, Newegg Customer Support

Back