• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI NF4 - 4x512mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mort

Welcome everyone!
Have been a silent reader for some time but decided to register since I have some quick questions before I'll order everything ;). Forgive my english cause its not my native language.

So I'm planning on getting a new rig for myself and use it for games and making 3d animations.
Plans are to get the following:

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D Mainboard
Athlon 4400+ x2
Fortron BlueStorm 500W ATX
Alphacool High End Kit HTF 12Volt
Some temp. vidcard probably until the R520 is out.

I want to OC that dualcore badly so I think I made a good choice with these parts I think?

I also want to get 2GB of ram...

That's where I need you guys. What memory should i get? (2x 1gb, 4x512?)
I've seen sooo many threads here and different memorysettings/chips etc. that I have no idea what to get. With the watercooling I'm getting, I'm hoping to reach a 275-300Mhz with the memory. Now when I look at several shops I see expensive PC3200 which according to some people should overclock well. I also see PC4200, PC4800 etc. which is memory which runs at that speed garantueed? Anyway I'm willing to spend about 400 euro (about $500-550) for those 2GB's that will o/c without any problems.

I know questions like these are probably asks many times, but it would really help me to hear from the pro's ;) what to get.

1. Currently there is not enough information available to assume that dual cores will overclock very well. Sure, we have seen a few nice results, but most of them are from the higher PR models and under some form of extreme cooling. Personally, I'd go with a nice Venice/San Diego and just save your money. Depending on the 3D programs in question, you may not even need a dual core just to run your programs well.

2. Also know that overclocking with 2GB is much, much harder than 2x256 or 2x512. This is because the amount of memory puts a very large strain on the memory controller, and you'll more than likely lose several Mhz off the top-end of your memory. Additionally, running 4 sticks will still result in 2T operations.

Having said all of this, my personal advice would be something like a 3700+ San Diego and some nice TCC5 or UTT memory. UTT such as Mushkin Redline or OCZ VX could provide very nice results couple with an 10/11x multiplier, but the use of the +5 volt jumper may be too risky for some. If you fall into that category, know that you can also look at TCCD/TCC5 such as G. Skill PC 4400/PC 4800 and OCZ PC4800/5000 DFI Special. All of these modules should provide you with very nice overclocks provided you look more toward a GB. I'm sure that such an excessive amount of memory has its benefits in 3D rendering, but overclocking is not one of them.

deception``

Believe me when I say I want dual cores. The multitasking will go allot faster and also the rendering process (benchmarks show this on several sites). My first option a few weeks ago was to get a dual amd board with opterons 248's. Then AMD put out the x2's so I'm going with that since the changes of O/C-ing are allot better. Opteron platform is barely oc-able.
As for the 2GB, I simply need it for rendering some shots. Also working with video compositing, having ram reviews and working with them in an easy way, 2GB is far from a luxury.
From your answer I read that 2x1gb is preferred over 4x512?
Seeing the OC on amdzone.com I'm just very anxious on achieving the same :p

Two 1GB sticks will probably be better than 4 512MB sticks in all slots; however, don't expect great overclocks with 2GB of ram in any configuration.

deception``

Back