• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ice tech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kdrifter440

Has any one ever used ice the water system? I was thinking of making large reservoir putting blocks of ice in it, then pumping that cooled water through the water block and then back into the reservoir. Will that work good?

the heat from the cpu block/ rad and such will melt the ice too fast lol, now if it was dry ice it would be a different story,

im positive ppl have tried this. remember tho, this could produce water temps below ambient, and that can cause condensation, which can damage components

yeah, my friend stuck his thermaltake aquarius 2 rad in a bowl of ice, it gave him 15c and the pipes were starting to get wet, but the ice melted in less then a few minutes. rads are hot

Do you guys know where I can buy a cheap cpu water block and a cheap pump? really cheap

kdrifter440 said:
Do you guys know where I can buy a cheap cpu water block and a cheap pump? really cheap

Yeah, the ocforum classifieds. But you'll need a few more posts to veiw them. It takes 50 or 100, I don't remember. Or they're cheaper on ebay instead of new, but not a lot cheaper.

The best thing you can do is look at other member's setups and try something similar. And read the stickies. It's better to wait and learn than to rush to buy stuff that wont work.

About the cheapest pump that folks use is the via aqua 1800 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...tid=8164&Ne=40000&R=11806&Nao=18&N=2004+22788). It is an AC pump which just means that if you want it to cut off automatically when you turn off the pump, you would need a relay. But you could always just wire it to to a separate cut off switch to save money, or just unplug it. The good DC pumps (like Aquaextreme 50z and MCP655) all run about $80ish and are worth every dime in that they are very quiet and very powerful.

Otherwise, like was said above, the classifieds are a great place to get waterblocks and things used. For instance, a guy has really nice northbridge heatsinks for $3.50 (instead of trying to watercool it). Get a '77 bonneyville heatercore from Autozone and change the fittings for about $20 and make some kind of a shroud out of whatever you can afford (acrylic, plywood, or even cardboard and duct tape if you have to).

Here is the correct ebay link also:
http://computers.listings.ebay.com/...1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ80150QQsocmdZListingItemList

Back