• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best order for water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gettygetty

Registered
I have a pump, Res, rad and blocks..

I was thinking of going:

A) Res ~~> Pump ~~> Rad ~~> blocks ~~> Res

or maybe

B) Pump ~~> Rad ~~> Res ~~> Blocks ~~> Pump

or

C) Pump ~~> Res ~~> Rad ~~> Blocks ~~> Pump

or

D) Other

Which would be the best order??

i would say a is the best, res before the pump
as far as the rest, go with whatever makes tubing easiest. the order of components has very little effect on temps, as far as rad>block or block>rad

just my opinion

edited cuz i cant read today!

i believe depending on your block and your pump there can be a really small difference. with my danner mag 3 and maze4 block i get better temps with pump > rad > cpu than pump > cpu.
it all depends on the block i guess. some work better with slower flow or pressure i guess.

yeah it does usually depend on the block and components, but usually no matter which way you go the liquid will still be cooled off and the block will still xfer the cpu heat to the liquid.

--------------------------

but personally i would vote for A, that was what i had setup before.

i say D- other.

it would just make sense to me to move start with the pump, move the warm water directly from the blocks to the radiator to be immediatly expelled, and then return it to the resevoir and back to the pump.

so...

pump -> blocks -> rad -> res -> pump

i rather have the water thats cooled directly sent to the block. doesnt really make sence to have have water go through rad then sit in a body of water for it to warm up a bit. but its your setup. do as you please

DarkDraco said:
i rather have the water thats cooled directly sent to the block. doesnt really make sence to have have water go through rad then sit in a body of water for it to warm up a bit. but its your setup. do as you please

You might get the cpu temp down 0.5C by having it directly after the rad rather than somewhere else in the loop. The water temp is almost constant going around the loop. This loop order myth needs to DIE!

either way my block works better with lower flow so either way, having the rad after pump would slightly slow it down :D

DarkDraco said:
either way my block works better with lower flow so either way, having the rad after pump would slightly slow it down :D
Sorry, the flowrate through each block is not dependant upon its' location within the loop. The flowrate is a function of pump pressure and the sum total of pressure drops in each block, the tubing, and any fittings.

Sorry, the flowrate through each block is not dependant upon its' location within the loop. The flowrate is a function of pump pressure and the sum total of pressure drops in each block, the tubing, and any fittings.
Indeed. Flow throughout the system is constant...otherwise you'd see weird cavitation effects at random points along the loop. That means that order alone doesn't matter at all in terms of flowrates. There may be AS MUCH AS a .5C degree difference before and after the pump, but that's a pretty high figure. The best results are always achieved by the shortest and simplest tubing route, regardless of order.

Back