• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unstable twinmos sp :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gessfk

unstable twinmos sp :( on amd761 chipset (ollllld)

I recently bought some of the highly acclaimed TwinMOS speed premium.

It's 05094 BH-5
TMD7608f8e44b on the chips

It sucks. It's probably because I'm running an abit kg7-r, with the amd 761 chipset..but it still sucks to not be able to use it stably. I'm running it at 145fsb 2-2-2-5 and I can't sisoft sandra it, things are crashing, can't 3dmark..but I'm in windows.. I'm only giving it 2.70 volts though.

Do you think there's anything I can do? I'd really like having 1gb of ram, rather than going back to my old 512mb of crappy pc2700 (not that it matters, it did 2226 @ 145).

Here's a screenshot of a blue screen that popped up when I tried to run sandra

http://webpages.charter.net/ddogg/ram.jpg

My heart sank when it happened :(

Maybe the 761chipset just doesn't support it..which would be logical, because who the hell would expect someone to run this old of a computer with the ram that out classes the system..but I thought I'd try. Think I'll go try to play a game..but I'm pretty sure it'll crash. IE has crashed already too, and I just got it in the comp like 10 minutes ago

Last edited:
Try a higher voltage if your board can supply it.

Use the default timings at least to start with.

tRAS depends largely on the chipset, and 5 might not be high enough for the 761. I don't remember what the optimal setting is with that chipset, but you might start with 2-2-2-15 and work down. Sometimes if tRAS is too low the system will be stable but performance will be lower, so check your memory benchmarks as you go.

Even at 145MHz that RAM might have trouble running 2-2-2 with only 2.7 volts. I'm really not sure about that because it's very rare to see someone running UTT with less than 2.8 or 2.9v. But even if you have to go to 3-4-4-15-2T, you'll get better performance with 1GB if you were using the swapfile with 512MB of RAM. You ought to be able to at least get SPD stable for the first 3 timings with whatever tRAS is best with your chipset.

I have heard of RAM refusing to function properly when underclocked too far. I hope that's not going to be true for you.

This memory doesn't work out too well on athlon xp architecture. You may have to run your memory 2T to get it stable. If you run your memory on memtest you'll see it gets lots of errors running 1T. Nowhere does it say this memory doesn't work on athlon xp setups, however since you're running such an old mb, I don't know if you'll be able to RMA.

ah well, it's no problem. I tried giving it more voltage, but that didn't seem to help. I plan on getting a DFI agp 939 board in the near future, so I can hold on. I should have tried the tras thing..but I guess I didn't read that before I yanked it out, doh! Also, I probably should have reset the BIOS when I put those two in..but it came up and detected it and everything, so I thought I was good. However, when I put my old ram back in, it had to reset BIOS for it to work. Makes me wonder if resetting it with the other would have done anything. Anyhow, oh well. Comp does mostly what I want so far anyway..maybe I shouldn't have bought the ram :p or be doing an upgrade..but I want to soo bad, JUST BECAUSE. oh, and maybe some good FPS on css :p Okay, I'm done rambling

thanks guys

Back