• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Voltage dropping under load will this give it a bit more juice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amdfreak04

I currently have my 1 stick of 256mb ddr ocz el @ 251fsb 3-4-4-11... I notice that at idle my volt modded ram stays at 3.30volts ... under load it drops as low as 3.23.... If you turned up the 5volt rail or the 12 volt rail in my power supply could i get the ram to idle at 3.35 maybe and loaded at 3.30 volts ?...Which rail would i turn up in the psu 5v rail or the 12v? How would i do this without ruining anything

thanks in advance :cool:

You would have to increase the 3.3V rail. Increasing the 5V and 12V rail isn't going to help you any because your RAM is feeding from the 3.3V. You would adjust the rails via internal pots if your power supply has them but you'll void the warranty when you open it up just so you know and you'll need a digital multimeter to read the voltages when adjusting because your motherboard isn't going to be very accurate.

If it was me i would just get a better PSU if your having power related problems. Thermaltake units are ok but their not high quality.

unfortunately its not that easy cause some of the mb's use voltage regulation and other stuff when the 3.3 feeds into the vdimm voltage. if u have a 3.3 volt pot u can try tweaking it a little upwards to see if it helps..

Back