• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What chips are these?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DoorBasher

Registered
I want to know to A.) satisfy my curiosity, and B.) so I can warn people to stay away from them. They're old, so I doubt they're being made or sold anymore, but still. I looked in the sticky about IC types, and I didn't see anything that fit, though I could be wrong. With some luck (and money) I should be getting some proper TCCD stuff soon, so I thought I should settle this before I junk it.

The stick is a Geil stick I bought years ago, as it was the cheapest 512MB CAS2 PC3200 I could find, at around $99. It says 200 MHz and it means it, 208 fails memtest, even with relaxed timings (stock timings are CAS2-3-3-6 IIRC) and 2.9 volts (mobo max). It works at it's rated speed, but that's about the only good thing I have to say about it.

The chip markings are:

GEIL
AMIR0316
GL3LC32G88TG-5A

PCB markings:
][94v-0 0244 AMI84-08B-00

(The ][ thing is just what I could type, the actual mark looks like the ][ on it's side. An H with twin crossbars.)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Since they are GEIL private labelled chips, they are most likely one of the three following UTT die chips:

1) PSC Die
2) Infineon UTT
3) Mosel UTT

I dug through another dozen or so pages of google results and I found this thread. Some guy with the same chips asked the same question, and there was a debate over wether they were rebadged CH-5s or old OCZ VX chips (Anyone know about these? I'd never heard of them.)

Dosen't matter either way I guess, I won't be able to give them good voltage, and my motherboard probably won't go above 220 anyway. Eh, maybe I'll try a divider. I tried 213 at 3-4-4-11 and Prime quit after five and a half hours. 215 locked Windows on boot. (this was at 2.9 volts according to the BIOS setting. The hardware monitor dosen't list vdimm, but it read vcc as 3.0v, are they the same?)

Edit: Gah. I just love it when I forget stuff I read not three hours ago. VX is listed in the sticky as Winbond UTT, is that what these are? If it is that'd be great, I'd be able to save some money by not buying new RAM, though I'd still probably need a voltage booster.

if your motherboard cant go over 220, then just get valueram man. kingston mkaes good valueram. your wasting money on anything else.

Do those sticks say GEIL or GL2000?

You said they were old (AMIR0316 = week 16 of 2003) so they will not be Winbond UTT, but back in late 2002, early 2003 Geil used relabeled Winbond bh-6 in their PC2700/PC3200/PC3500. Do they have Winbond markings?

I've got a set of the PC2700 with 2-2-2-5-1T rated timings and the following codes

GL2000
AMIR0244
GL3LG16G168TG-5A

The PCB markings on the outer edge are BUD964A

These sticks are supposed to be bh6 and although they have the Winbond "staples" on the edges, they don't have the dimples or the little hole in the lower left hand corner. I got them in a trade and I believe one was damaged in transit from Hawaii. I am going to give the seller the benefit of the doubt on this one. I removed the heatspreader and cleaned it up and performance improved to 208 at 2-2-2-5 timings, but it craps out after that. It is possible that there is some kind of corrosion from the salt air (seller ran it in an open window environment in Hawaii) so I'm going to spray them with some kind of cleaner and see if things improve.

In any event, interesting from the standpoint of being relabeled bh6, but not up to typical bh6 performance, even with 3.4v it won't run 210.

No, they say Geil, not GL2000.

Sorry, but what exactly are the Winbond markings? I don't deal with too much RAM... I buy it infrequently because I'm cheap/broke/etc. (side note: this is why I was going to get TCCD for an NF-7S that would be lucky to crack 220. I keep RAM for over two years unless it dies first, and in a year or year and a half or so I might be getting an A64.) Plus, I only learned of the vast variation in RAM chips relatively recently.

So I'm not quite sure what the staples are. They do have two tiny metal areas on the top edge of the chip, if thats what you mean. I can see two circular depressions on each chip, but they're very faint.

Back