• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Case for Dual 120 HC Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goodolarchie

I'm going to ditch the idea of using one of my two cases (this is the model fo my case, though not my rig. Looks like the chevette core fits) for my project. It seems painfully obvious that I'm only asking for trouble by going with a mid-tower. I plan on using a dual-120mm fan HC mounted up front for pull configuration. I doubt this can be done in a mid tower, even removing the HD cage, perhaps somebody can name a model that has > 10.5" x 6.5 x 2 clearance under optical drive bay?

So, here's the criteria (in order):
-Cheap... I can easily see my project hitting the $1000 mark, I may be moving in august, so money is tight. :rolleyes: Lets say under $100.
-Cool. Thermo/Aerodynamically speaking. At least 120mm fan inlets/outlets. 80mm just won't cut it and I'm not too keen on the idea of modding it to make a mount/grille.
-Acryllic Window, side window. Why pump all that cool green gue through your system w/o getting to show it off?
-Black. You don't go back.
-Light. Aluminum? I know, this cancels out the first priority. Oh well.

I'm not big on the TT units, for their price. Maybe back when I was 16 I thought they looked cool, but I think sleeper cases like chieftech and chenming tower units are secksy. So, the simpler the better.

I've scoured newegg and the other forums (many posts are old and contain broken links i.e. the stickied case post). So far this chenming seems to fit the bill. Cept no 120mm fans. :bang head
I've also looked at lian LI (nice, expensive), SS (same), Cooler Master, etc. The usuals, just didn't see one that really fit the bill.

What are you '77 b'ville users out there using for cases? I've seen a few in pics of WC'd units but most are taken in dark so I can't tell which case it is. :shrug:

Last edited:
Acurax said:
I'd go with the Chenming and mount a Fedco 2-342 HC (single pass) sideways.

See here towards the bottom: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=308487&page=5&highlight=summer+project

I owned a black chenming just like the one you linked to. If I still I had it, that's what I would do.

Pretty hard to find a case with what you're looking for under $100--Chenmings aside.

Wow that's a slick setup. Now some years ago I did a lot of studying on automotive aerocharging and intercooler setups. In intercooling and aerodynamics, a single pass cooler was best for flow characteristics, and I'm assuming that is true for watercoolers as well. I won't get as in depth as I did for flow characteristics of my turbocharged project, but out of curiousity which bonneville core has the best flow/cooling properties? Anyone tested?

Well, it looks like its the chenming then. I have to say I do like it, and the idea of a 2 foot tall aluminum beast standing next to me at all times. I'll post any other cases that catch my eye.

I bought the Chenming for my watercooling setup. All I can say you WILL have enough room.

big_dish said:
I bought the Chenming for my watercooling setup. All I can say you WILL have enough room.

That's good to know, as its the cheapest. I found some Aluminum Chieftec cases that I'd prefer, one is a WTS but I can't get a response from the fella so I may just buy this case..

Back