• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cleaning blocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt_Horn

I've been running my system for awhile now and figured it was time to clean. I have read many different ways to clean blocks and such, the most common of them being vinegar. What i was wondering is would vinegar affect an acrylic top at all? seems like a dumb question since vinegar is stored in a plastic bottle, but with this hobby asking doesn't hurt one bit.

thanks, never would have guessed that alcohol would...hmph

Most people dont and sadly this problem is not given as much attention as it deserves. The alcohol will cause cracks to grow from machined edges, especially if there are threaded barbs.

so what about something like for example a fluid which includes alcohol in order to modify its freezing/boiling points. would this in the long run be a bad idea for your wc setup?

doesn't iodine have the same properties as alcohol, i mean the boiling point/freezing points?

I would recommend taking the blocks apart to clean them. Grab a wire brush and some hex wrenches and have at it.

I was not too keen on taking off my acrylic top because I was afraid of cracking. I ran a 25/25/50 pinsol, lysol, H2O mixture through my loop for a few hours and it cleaned out everything. The tubes were clear again and I could see through the acrylic block again. If you have gunk built up in the block itself (I had a few lady bugs and PVC shavings), you can probably clean them out with a wet q-tip.

Back