• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I've been scammed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whitebloodcell

2 Days ago a member by the name packerjoe contacted me saying he had a 2405FPW for sale, and would ship it to me for $800. I later found out he was a new member and had not made any posts yet. I agreed to the sale having bought stuff through the forums before. So he was very freindly and communicative right up until I paid. I paid through Western Union. After he had the money he emailed me saying

"Please expect another email from me night time (In the States) once I get your tracking number and such....You are 5 hours ahead so you may be in bed when you get the email, but when you wake up it'll be on its way!"

There was no Email when I woke up. He normally responded to my Emails within an hour. So I emailed him asking for the tracking number. 6 Hrs later I got the following reply.

"I sent it from my home email. I will double check and send it out again through another email service when I arrive home.

I hope you enjoy it...Very pleasant LCD mate."

I find that unlikely, so I decided to be sneaky and using a different Email address, emailed him asking about getting a screen, as a different person.
He replied quickly, saying, just like he had with me, that this is his last one, he sent the exact same pictures on the box as he did with me. He was now offering it for $750, though that may have been domestic price.

I am hoping that this isnt as bad as it looks and that I will get my screen, but I am very worried. It is alot of money, and I have been done over before. It took me days to convince parents to let me do this, promisiing it wasnt a scam. What should I do? What do you think? If it is a scam, which it sounds like it is, what can I do!

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Richee

City: Sanford
State: Florida
720 Magnolia Drive
Sanford Florida 32771

Thats all the info I have on him. I googled for a while on his username, only came up with a couple other forums with a packerjoe with 0 posts but no location was stated.

WTF am I going to do. Will I be able to claim this back on credit card. I do NOT have £443 to lose.

This is an issue you may want to contact Silversinksam on..However you are aware you bought out side of the guildelines for buying and selling ? Do you have copies of his emails ? And any proof he contacted you from here ?

Last edited:
I wasnt aware it was outside the guidelines no, perhaps I should have read them closer. Yes I have all his Emails, his first one was routed through the overclockers Email System.

This is a message from PackerJoe at Overclockers Forums ( http://www.ocforums.com/index.php ). The Overclockers Forums owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email PackerJoe, you can use this online form:
http://www.ocforums.com/sendmessage.php?do=mailmember&userid=59263

OR, by email:
mailto:[email protected]

This is the message:

Hello I noticed your thread regarding a LCD...I actually purchased (2) Dell 2405's..one for myself (which I am using now) and one for my girlfriend...When she arrived back from her trip she preferred a dual LCD setup for her graphic art, so I have one still sealed from Dell as it is past the 30 day window for a refund from Dell....They were purchased April 2005 and have a full 3 year transferable warranty from Dell. Let me know if interested..my email is: [email protected]

Thanks

Linky to his profile page.

Ebay says: never ever pay with WU or moneygram or whatever...

Plus, it may sound harsh but you should've looked up some more info on his membership here. Trading outside the classifieds is prohibited (that includes pm's not in response to a classified post), to make sure someone has a credible history here.

Did you mention you were looking for the monitor outside of the classifieds?

*edit*

a short search resulted in:

http://kffl.com/forums/member.php?u=21

same name, another account with zero posts. something tells me he pulled the same scam there

There are people under that name active at these locations: (use ctrl-f to locate them on the pages)

http://www.iis-sports.com/ub/noncgi/Forum29/HTML/003733.html
http://www.wtaq.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=665
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=166&start=0

I didnt mention I wanted the monitor specifically at all, he merely saw me debating in my thread 2005FPW vs 2405FPW. You are right I haven't done the right things here and I am suffering the consequences. Now I am trying to get out of them.

whitebloodcell said:
I didnt mention I wanted the monitor specifically at all, he merely saw me debating in my thread 2005FPW vs 2405FPW. You are right I haven't done the right things here and I am suffering the consequences. Now I am trying to get out of them.

Well if you only discussed it in the classifieds we could have outruled the possibility of a complete stranger since only xxx+ posts members can acces there.

Read my edited post just above here.

Ugh using western union to a new member you know nothing about is probably a 75% chance scam. Perhaps email him acting like someone who lives close and ask for a pickup. See if he does that.

Well I am not sure what to tell you as i mentioned yuo traded out side of the rules.A Mod may want to help out or may not.You will net better results by talking to a mod then posting this here in vendor discussion.

I sent a PM to a MOD,,only because I can clearly see we can not help you from this thread.

Last edited:
Alright, I willpost to a Mod, there is a slight bit of hope in getting my money back.

I registered the Western Union account in my name, but the CC was my mums. When she called they said because the account was in my name they said the money would be frozen and the payment cancelled. But they sent an Email saying the payment had been verified, then the seller collected. Maybe the money will be cancelled?

Sorry to hear of your situation man. I would suggest in the future you use a reputable escrow service when buying a big ticket item on line with no history behind the seller.

I will cross my fingers, but I don't think you are going to get a monitor.

I couldnt stop myself and sent a rather frank Email to the seller, who responded! Please don't pick at the possible stupidity of letting my anger get the better of me when writing this message.

Me said:
I expect to receive the tracking number very soon. I feel that I am being scammed here. If you cannot give me undeniable proof that the screen has been mailed the payment will be cancelled and I will contact the Police. I found it curious that after a friend of mine contacted you regarding a screen, you seemed to have *another* last screen and also sent him the same pictures as me. I want answers

Him said:
I find it very interesting as well because I received a PM from another person in England...I thought this was the same person and I wanted to see what he said regarding the pictures. I find it interesting that you stated you had a problem with WU and then were using someone elses card....Im going to keep a close eye on this as well...I knew the email was from someone in England when they ended it with "Cheers"...

Dont really know what he is on about, maybe he's referring to my WU troubles.

i wouldnt never send MO to someone who hasnt been a member here for a while or doesnt have alot of heat esp for such a high ticket item.. GL getting your monitor or $ back...

whitebloodcell said:
2 Days ago a member by the name packerjoe contacted me saying he had a 2405FPW for sale, and would ship it to me for $800. I later found out he was a new member and had not made any posts yet. I agreed to the sale having bought stuff through the forums before. So he was very freindly and communicative right up until I paid. I paid through Western Union. After he had the money he emailed me saying

"Please expect another email from me night time (In the States) once I get your tracking number and such....You are 5 hours ahead so you may be in bed when you get the email, but when you wake up it'll be on its way!"

There was no Email when I woke up. He normally responded to my Emails within an hour. So I emailed him asking for the tracking number. 6 Hrs later I got the following reply.

"I sent it from my home email. I will double check and send it out again through another email service when I arrive home.

I hope you enjoy it...Very pleasant LCD mate."

I find that unlikely, so I decided to be sneaky and using a different Email address, emailed him asking about getting a screen, as a different person.
He replied quickly, saying, just like he had with me, that this is his last one, he sent the exact same pictures on the box as he did with me. He was now offering it for $750, though that may have been domestic price.

I am hoping that this isnt as bad as it looks and that I will get my screen, but I am very worried. It is alot of money, and I have been done over before. It took me days to convince parents to let me do this, promisiing it wasnt a scam. What should I do? What do you think? If it is a scam, which it sounds like it is, what can I do!

You have gone around every one of our safeguards, namely NO BUYING SELLING or TRADING outside of the Classified section. We will try to track this guy down but there is a very good chance you will never see your money again. The red flag was he has zero posts, used a generic e-mail to register and you paid via Western Union.

You will need to forward ALL communications that you recieved from this person via Private message to me forwarding the PM's/

You will need to E-mail me ALL e-mails you two exchanged,

You will also need to see if he collected the Western Union money, if not CANCEL IT, if it was cashed, you will need to run a trace, but theres a good chance he may have used a phoney ID to collect and cash the money.

You made a grave error going around our safeguards and if I had to speculate, you will never see this money again. But we will see if we can help you.

EDIT, This scam was also conducted at Anandtech, we have some info and we will check with the Anandtech staff for ips and info

Last edited:
Silversinksam said:
You have gone around every one of our safeguards, namely NO BUYING SELLING or TRADING outside of the Classified section. We will try to track this guy down but there is a very good chance you will never see your money again. The red flag was he has zero posts, used a generic e-mail to register and you paid via Western Union.

You will need to forward ALL communications that you recieved from this person via Private message to me forwarding the PM's/

You will need to E-mail me ALL e-mails you two exchanged,

You will also need to see if he collected the Western Union money, if not CANCEL IT, if it was cashed, you will need to run a trace, but theres a good chance he may have used a phoney ID to colect and cash the money.

You made a grave error going around our safeguards and if I had to speculate, you will never see this money again. But we will see if we can help you.

Thankyou for whatever you can do, Email being sent with all communication.

whitebloodcell said:
Thankyou for whatever you can do, Email being sent with all communication.

I removed the post with his possible name, I have to ask is that the name he gave you to pay via Western Union?
You are lucky as I live exactly 150 miles from that address. If the police need to be notified, I will see what I can do.

Edit. I am now 100% sure this is a troll situation, this person that scammed you has ripped off many others, three separate people at [H] and one at another forum, there may be more, but lutawicasa and i will hunt this scumbag down, I am very close to this Troll as I mentioned and I will drive to the Police Dept in his town, but I will need to get much info from you, specifically a notarized or certified statement of the situation, and any and all receipts and ALL INFO.
I will e-mail you what I need you to do. Please give me and Lutawicasa time to organize our info.

But in the meantime, please run a trace of this cashed Western Union payment to get us started, I want this troll to see the inside of a prison cell or a juvenile detention center if he is a minor.

Edit #2
Using Visualroute IP tracker, even though he is using an anonymous e-mail, I have tracked this troll down and he is using AOL, provided this is not a phished account, this may be helpful.

Last edited:
Wowza, this should be turned into a movie. The suspense! *Grabs some popcorn and Dr.Pepper*

Take that guy down SSS! Save lots of other people the headache.

Back