• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFi Special PC-5000 nowhere to be found!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strages

Did OCZ stop producing the DFi Special PC-5000 ram?? I am looking to do a full mobo, CPU, RAM upgrade in the near future and wanted the PC-5000 because my goal is to hit 3GHZ - or close to it at least. So I was looking around to price it out, and I noticed that neither newegg or monarch had them even listed anymore. I went to OCZ's site to get the model number and search using that, but I couldn't find it on their site. Have they all of a sudden stopped production on them in the past few weeks?? I just looked at them not three weeks ago!! Any one know?

OCZ discontinued the OCZ PC5000. They probably realized they weren't going to sell that great because most new Venice and San Diego chips aren't capable of running 300Mhz+. The memory controllers aren't that great on the new revision E chips and they dont scale to really high HTT speeds well. Some do but alot dont. Thats just the word i'm hearing anyways.

They are EOL because as burningrave101 said the new CPU memory controllers just can't do the speeds we need to keep making them and have people still be happy with the product. The pc4800 is now the top speed bin, so anything that would have made it to the pc5000 is now going back into the 4800.

Hmm, thats an interesting idea, I like it.

The product we make is to good for the other parts that are going to be used with it, we will make the same ram just lower people expectations.

I like knowing that the memory won't be my bottleneck though. Haven't quite a few people been getting 300mhz+ HTT/Dram speeds though? or am I just assuming that their DRAM clock being 300mhz means the chip's memory controller is running at 300mhz when I shouldn't be?

Strages said:
I like knowing that the memory won't be my bottleneck though. Haven't quite a few people been getting 300mhz+ HTT/Dram speeds though? or am I just assuming that their DRAM clock being 300mhz means the chip's memory controller is running at 300mhz when I shouldn't be?

Not that many people are running 300Mhz+ with TCCD/TCC5 modules and Rev E chips. The memory controllers just dont perform that well at those high clocks. A few do but alot dont. Some just dont like TCCD very much and you have to do alot of tweaking to even get a descent clock. The memory is never a bottleneck though because there are memory dividers on your board and the speed of the memory only has a small impact on performance so it doesn't matter if your not running 1:1. The memory controller runs at the speed of the CPU itself. The 300Mhz of the RAM is just the amount of bandwidth you have available and in most areas the extra bandwidth has little benefit, especially with dual channel processors. Timings are just as important as high clocks and with TCCD you have to run more lax timings to get 300Mhz+. Its really just a tradeoff.

Back