• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking my 3.2e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

barnz0432

I now have my abit ic7-g maxII mobo.

I have been using my asus p4c800e deluxe mobo until it died.

what can I adjust on my settings to try and go higher. now with these settings I cant get stable above 3.6
it boots at 3.86 but not stable..Posted at 4

My cpu specs are using cpu-z
core speed 3522.3 mhz (as of now)
muli x16
fsb 220.1mhz
bus 880.6 mhz
family F
Model 3
Stepping 3
ext family 0
ext model 0
revision co

its a SL7B8 if that helps

ram
2 gigs of kingston hyperx ddr 400
@220 mhz
cas 2.5
ras delay 3
rechars 3
cycle 8
1:1

I hope this can help everyone get a base on helping me out with overclocking

(I would like to hit 4ghz but i dont want to burn anything up...I havent had the best luck I have had the following die. A 6800gt and a 6800 ultra, P4C800e deluxe mobo.)

Any help or suggestions would be great.

is there any way to check my stepping before a buy a processor?

Yes I do have water cooling!

I have 2 ddc pumps a BIXIII rad and a BIX rad and a Maze 4 cpu block and a nv68 block.

the pumps are run seperate to each rad then put into a y fitting to the processor and from the processor to the gpu block and back to the res.

should i try and keep overclocking my (crappy cpu) or should I try and find a new 3.2e or go to 3.4 or go AMD.

I dont know what I should to for sure.... suggestions would be great.

i got a C0 3.0E (i wish i had a 3.2 E0 though hahah)

lemme hop in the shower (just got back from paintball), and i'll give you some pointers

if you have AIM it'd be even better (my SN is ubergreenguru)

alright - first thing you do, to make sure the RAM isn't holding you back, set the ram divider to 5:4 (a.k.a. change RAM speed from Auto/DDR400 to DDR320) then change the ram timings from SPD for DDR320 to the ones you're currently using (2.5-3-3-8)

after that, set the CPU voltage to 1.5v (you have WC, so if need-be, you can safely take it all the way up to 1.55v, which you'll prolly need for 4.0ghz or higher on an old C0 stepping)

then set the FSB to 240mhz to establish a base point - after this, increase the FSB in 2-3 mhz intervals, using some sort of benchmark/stress test to make sure its stable for ~5-10 minutes (prime 95 torture test, CPU burn-in, superpi 32m, etc.), and repeat until you hit your desired overclock

(this is a really summarized version of what to do - catch me on AIM and i'll go through it step-by step (easier for me, and prolly easier for you to understand as well)

Sneaky I followed your instructions Im at 3.85 now and it seems to work ok

I ran Prime95 it only made it for 2 min...

suggestions to get it more stable.

I have been doing some tuning

I have gotten it prime stable up to 3 hours.

the core volts are 1.55 now and I was wondering if I should sink the mobo mosfits.

if so how do i do this.

My temps are a little high now but after I install my tdx block when it gets here. the temps should drop greatly.

suggestions on reaching 4ghz or even getting my 3.85 more stable.

ambient is about 25 - 29 depending on room temps

about sinking the mosfits what is the best recommendation for types of sinks and such. I have never sinked mosfits before.

Last edited:
PWM temps in the bios are about 2c lower then my processor temps :eek:

I think I might drop my oc until I get sinks and my new waterblock.

Here is what I did to my IC7-G. I used Microcool heatsinks, but you can cut up an old heatsink you have laying around if you are on a tight budget. Use a good thermal epoxy like Arctic Silver adhesive.

A side blow hole in the case cover or better yet, a side duct works good too. Check out the cooling links in my signature for some cooling ideas. Case ventilation is important.

The red arrows point to mosfet sinks, the yellow arrow points to PLL chip and the blue arrow points to the southbridge sink (you can get away with not sinking the S/B):

mobo-cooling-mods.jpg

I used the ole p2 heatsinks twice the size of those and i have i have a 90 sunon fan aimed at them hanging from the power supply fan grill and the wires coming out of the power supply. I say hanging i mean zip tied and aimed at the mosfets. if you dont have as5 adhesive use normal as5 with 2 small drops super glue in the corners thats what i have.

its what Batboy said with a twist

After switching my watercooling setup around installing my new brass TDX block.

temps will drop after my artic silver sets in.

temps now 44c idle at 4ghz havent tried load since I dont have mosfets sinked yet.

I posted at 4.2ghz :santa:

ram volts 2.8

core volts 1.55

Not bad for a CO stepping pressy

after I get my sinks I will get its stable at 4 and start on my 6800u

"CO" Prescott's are not really that bad. The "DO's" and "EO's" are a little better, and run cooler, but the "CO'" really aren't that bad. We OC'ers tend to go for hand picked "select" stuff, but you have a good WC setup, and 4.0GHz is attainable with that CPU.

After seeing your results, I cannot wait until the day i cann afford a good WC setup. I know this CPU has at least 4.2 in it, because I've already been there. I just can't stay there without water. 4.2 is a "suicide run" and I really can't honestly list that as an OC because, IMO a good OC is supposed to be stable, and run normal temps. In other words, it should be able to do that all the time.

It looks like you have a great OC. You definitely want to sink all FET's and PLL's. Don't forget the ones that are right under the edge of the AGP card!!! Those particular ones get VERY hot.

Back