• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help =/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gettygetty

Registered
I got my system ready to go, BUT when I turn it on I get no video the card is good I tested it in another system and it boots up fine, the mother board has power and everything, but I get no video.. I made sure the power was plugged in to the vid card and everything.. Also put a different vid card in and that didn't work what coudl be wrong? =/

EDIT: I plugged the old Fan in to the Vid card and it got power also..

Last edited:
Flash the BIOS. Take out the battery and unplug the power cable to the PSU and then change the jumper to flash your BIOS. This will clear the CMOS. Leave it for an hour or two. When you put it all back together, take out all of your RAM and turn on the computer. It should start beeping. If it doesnt, put the RAM back in turn it on for a few minutes and if nothing happens, turn it off and take out the RAM again and turn it back on. If you get no beeps your motherboard may be borked.

Whenver you have problems with components, use a process of elimination. First, unplug everything nonessential (usb, sound card, modem card, etc.). Next, (which you already did), try video card in diff. machine and try another video card in current machine to rule out video card. Next, try a different monitor on your system. Next, reset the cmos by unplugging and moving the necessary jumper for a few seconds. Also try the RAM steps that apu318 suggested.

Does the computer seem to be booting into windows? (usual hard drive activity, etc.?)

The fact that you are getting absolutely no video points definitively to a hardware problem. It may just be a coincidence that your video on the MB has gone out since you redid your setup, or you could also have zapped your MB with static by not being properly grounded.

And yes, this shouldn't be in the watercooling section as the problem regards something besides watercooling. But I think we can forgive you for that.

apu318 said:
Flash the BIOS. Take out the battery and unplug the power cable to the PSU and then change the jumper to flash your BIOS. This will clear the CMOS. Leave it for an hour or two. When you put it all back together, take out all of your RAM and turn on the computer. It should start beeping. If it doesnt, put the RAM back in turn it on for a few minutes and if nothing happens, turn it off and take out the RAM again and turn it back on. If you get no beeps your motherboard may be borked.
Really confusing post, try to break it in sections.
And how is he soposed to flash the BIOS if he can't boot it up..... :shrug:

I think it is the mother board =( I took everything off but CPU and ever with out the CPU and i get no system beeps. I don't even get the post beep.

You should be getting an error beep from the MB if the RAM or CPU is out, or if the CPU has gone dead. Does it try to boot up with the RAM and CPU in (hard drive activity, etc.)?

have u tried clearing the cmos as suggested earlier?
forgive me if i missed this, but is it a nerw mobo? if not have you had it working in the past?

i agree that u should be getting (at very least) error beeps to give u an idea of whats wrong. is there led(s) on the mobo? are they lit?

if u are unable to get any kind of response from the mobo it may be dead =(

EDIT:
if u think the speaker may not be working you most def have to single that out. test that speaker somehow. that is your key to determining the issue here

lala

I get the power LEDs on the Mobo, I have tried clearing the CMOS it is currently out of the system with the CMOS jumper set to clear. I had been using it before with all the same componets on it.

ok, gotchya
so this is a mobo your have had good luck with prior to this...

again i have to suggest that u test that speaker somehow. just check both solder points on the speaker itself, make sure the wires are connected. then make sure its plugged into the correct headers on the mobo. if those 2 things are ok i would have to believe the speaker is in working order.

as suggested earlier, u may have damaged the mobo with electrostatic shock. however, i find this to be unlikely in my mind. i am well aware of the dangers of not grounding, but i have never personally grounded myself while working on computers and have never damaged a component. its a possibility, but of low likelyness if you want my opinion.

if you reseated the mobo (or just pulled it out) and still have no luck, maybe just give it a break for a while. as stupid as it sounds, sometimes computes just dont want to work right now. i have had hair pulling frustration trying to get a computer working, given up, and after 8hrs sleep return to find it working perfectly normal.

hope u get it sorted out mang

i had this problem when i built my first system.

it turned out that i had burnt out the video portion or the portion of the cpu that helps with video, i had to RMA the cpu and get a new one.

ok well the speaker is eliminated as a suspect.

unfortunately if u get no beeps, even when there is nothing at all plugged into the mobo other than atx power, power switch and speaker, then something is seriously wrong.

do you have any kind of warranty on the mobo?

if you havent pulled the cpu out, do so. try it without the cpu. try it reseated...

the annoying thing about hardware troubleshooting is just the fact that you have to try every stupid little annoying thing u can think of. no matter how trivial it seems. many times when hardware doenst work, some silly little monday detail was overlooked. i hope this is your case (im not hoping your incompetent, im hoping u simply forgot something silly so that you dont have to deal with dead hardware).

Back