• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yo, I need some emergency help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Okay, I just received an Intel Engenering Sample motherboard (I know this should probably go in the Intel board but that board appears dead) and got all my stuff installed in it. It also came with a 512MB DIMM of DDR2 and a 560 3.6GHz CPU. The motherboard is a 915 Glendale and is of course socket LGA775. Now, I get my PSU hooked in and everything and I push the power button. It doesn't show any signs of activity yet the green light on the mobo shows theres power running through it since I have the PSU plugged in. Also, as soon as I hit the power button, the HDD activity LED comes on in the motherboard and won't go off. The only plug I have plugged in is the Power button switch. Can someone tell me what might be going on. I googled the numbers on the back of the motherboard but nothing came up. I was hoping for a good jumper configuration picture. So, does anyone know whats up with this?

apu318 said:
Try flashing the BIOS first, Take out the Ram and boot it to see if it beeps.

Booting without RAM isn't going to work.

Is the videocard verified okay? if not, test it in a different system. Same goes for ram and CPU, test them in another system to verify that they work ok.

Double check all your connections.

apu318 said:
Turning the computer on without RAM is to test for a warning beep to see that the Bios is functioning properly. If there is no beep without ram, something is wrong with the motherboard usually.

That won't be booting then, it will fail at the first letter of POST :p

you're right tho, easy way to check if it is even alive.

Thanks for all the replys. I tried booting without the RAM and nothing happens. WHen I plug my PSU in, the CPU fan spins for half a second and all the lights on the mobo flash quickly. No video comes on whatsoever and the heatsink isn't even hot so I don't think the CPU is running. I replaced the BIOS battery and still no luck. I don't have any othe LGA775 stuff to test with.

ghost_recon88 said:
Umm, what mobo speaker?

There is a speaker in (almost) any ATX case that connects to the mobo with a 4 pin 2 wire plug. The mobo uses it to give status beeps during POST and boot.

Why don't you check to see if the CMOS jumper is in the NORMAL position. Sometimes people forget that.

Also, I would try turning the system on with ONLY the PSU and MOBO (of course make sure CMOS jumper is in NORMAL position). See if there is any difference without the CPU, RAM, and Video. Try all those combinations, man... something may fill you in with common sense, but that's how I usually do it.

Good luck, and I'll be back later on hopefully if I'm not too drunk... sry, my older bro had a huge party here... mmmmmmmm, beeeeeeeer....

g0dM@n said:
Good luck, and I'll be back later on hopefully if I'm not too drunk... sry, my older bro had a huge party here... mmmmmmmm, beeeeeeeer....

i'd call that a TJ but since there is beer involved...hmmm

Since you don't have the manual that came with it (i guess) STEP ONE is to take a photo of the board, so you can see where all the jumpers are now. If you don't have a digicam, make a note of them all. Then try changing them around (look for 3 pins, with one jumper on, that may well be the CMOS reset switch) to see if you can find it.

I really have no further ideas on this one, sorry mate :(

If you could post a photo, tho, that'd be helpful :D

Okay, I got a little better results. Now, whenever I plug the PSU chord into the PSU, the board automaticly goes on. However, my monitor flickers on like it's receiving a signal from the motherboard but the screen just stays black. I've tried multiple monitors but the same thing happens to all of them. I got this to happen by playing around with two different jumpers. one says "Force On" and the other one isn't labeled. I wonder if the video card could be dead. I plugged my headphones into the audio-out jack and everytime I turn it on, I can hear a crackle come through the headphones. I've tried clearing the CMOS many times and resetting it but it doesn't appear to make any difference. I downloaded a manual for a similar board from Intels website and it appears a lot of the jumpers are the same. However, there are a few on my board that the retail board doesn't have. I'll try and scan the board on my scanner later today and post a picture.

Does the board have onbaord video at all? Try holding down ins when it turns on to get it to use fail safe bios options for that boot.

Yes, it does have integrated video. I'll try holding the insert key down. BTW, I can't figure out why I can't turn it on and off using the power button. :shrug: I have to power it on by hooking the power cable into the power supply.

Back