• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Plat. PC4800 or OCZ PC4000 VX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Strages

I'm planning out my memory upgrade for my A64 Venice setup and I'm having a touvh time deciding which RAM to get. Anandtech has done testing on both PC4000 VX and the OCZ PC-3200 Rev. 2,which is now using TCC5, so to get the best TCC5 I'm looking at Platinum PC4800 instead of PC3200 Rev. 2. Anyhow, I can't decide which one is going to be the best to get. Anandtech's findings show that PC4000 VX does very well with high voltages, and even out-performs TCCD-based modules (TCC5) at lower speeds, but tighter timings. However, PC4000 VX requires real high voltages and might hold my processor back a little by not being able to reach as high HTT speeds as PC4800 (I prefer to run 1:1, and I don't want to limit myself to mid-260's unless it's a processor limitation). So basically, what is your guys' opinion/advice to me in my situation. Basically I'm hoping to hit or at least come close to 3ghz with a Venice. I just setup a real high-end water system specifically for this purpose, so if I get a good enough CPU, I should be able to do it. That's where the RAM comes in. I would like to get as close to 300mhz as possible - what do you guys think will give me the best performance at or close to 300mhz?

EDIT - I will be using the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D.

Last edited:
what motherboard are you planning on using? If you can't supply the voltages whether through a volt-mod or through using the BIOS (such as is the case with the DFI boards) then TCC5 or TCCD would be the answer. good luck.

DOH! lol! I can't believe I didn't mention the board I want to use. I plan to use the DFI Ultra-D or -DR (not sure if I want the SLI capable board or not). Basically, I'm going to have the ability to add the voltage that is needed to memory.

HTT speed isn't important at all to performance and the new Venice chips dont do well with really high memory clocks. Some people get a good memory controller but alot of others have had problems getting their TCCD to overclock very well compared to the clocks they got before on Winchesters and Newcastles. You can just run a memory divider whatever you buy because memory speed only has a small impact on performance. You'll probably get better performance from 2-2-2-5 at around 250Mhz then more lax timings and higher speeds with TCCD anyways. So i would consider the 4000VX but personally i would get something UTT-BH based like the OCZ PC3200 Gold or G. Skills PC3200 1GBGH.

4000VX if you want decent RAM and want to save some $$, it has dropped a ton lately in price. PC4800 is pretty steep still.

The VX is some amazing stuff. That said, for a daily computer i'll take TCCD memory, no cold boot issues, no need for active cooling, and performance is negligable at 300HTT compared to 250HTT. At the price though, VX gets the nod.

Last edited:
You will need to choose between running high voltages with tight timings and decent freq somewhere around 250MHz-270MHz will be your limit with VX's or lower voltages with looser timings and high freq around 300MHz or higher with Rev2.

Its all up to you but it seems that lot of people here are fans of UTT/BH and if you decide to go with UTT I would suggest that you get some Mushkin Redlines, I'm also planning to get some of that stuff myself.

My vote goes for the UTT based VX or Redlines as well. My reasoning: They keep my room nice and warm when I put 3.6v through them. Just kidding :)

I have been comparing TCCx based ram to UTT for some time now. I have found that the tighter timings around 250mhz can usually outperform 300mhz at 2.5-4-4-x in everything except for bandwidth. Timings don't affect bandwidth as much. For gaming and other performance hungry tasks, I have found the UTT to be the clear winner.

On the negative side, I have seen more and more reports of UTT not lasting very long and suddenly becoming bad. Well, as to be expected when running 3.5v. Luckily, the two companies mentioned will warrant that ram for life. Good luck buddy :)

-Collin-

SteveOCZ said:
If you want high speed tcc5 the pc4200EL will overclock very well so that is a less expensive option :)
I concur, mine does DDR614 and will likely go higher once I flash in 0618-3 and do some tweeking.

Janus67 said:
oh sorry, I was thinking of the Gold which I believe is UTT, right?

VX 4000 is Gold.

I think, but don't quote me, but the 3200 VX should be BH die.

The PC4800 price-wise isn't a problem - I'm used to spending upwards of $250 on RAM anyway. The OCZ PC3200 I'm using now was $275, so ~$260 isn't bad :).

Great, now I'm totally torn though. I've been really impressed by the 4000VX performing equal to 300mhz with looser timings with 250mhz and real tight timings, but the real quest here is for decent DRAM clock and timings but a real high clock speed - that will make the most real-world difference. Right now, I'm leaning towards the PC4800 for two reasons: 1) it's proven to hit high speeds with decent timings (and with 4800, I'm getting the high-speeds for sure) and 2) the lower voltages will produce less heat and hopefully keep the RAM good for a while. However, the price is still keeping me undecisive because VX , in theory, could deliver equal performance for ~$50 less.

Last edited:
Strages, sounds like you expect to hit 265, 2-2-2-6 with VX4000??? Good luck my friend. I dunno whether Mushkin outbid OCZ for the higher binned stuff for their Redlines, but the VX4000 are lucky to do 260-261.

But yeah, a lotta guys talk like it's easy to run 32M at 265+ with BH-5/UTT. Try it sometime ;).

If you take a look at the BH-5/UTT thread on Extreme, I don't think anybody is running VX4000, 32M stable above 261 (me). I think I am the only VX4000 post too. But my sticks only need 3.3 volts here.

I don't know what it is about the VX4000, but >3.4 VDIMM or >262 HTT creates more and more #5 errors. If you are in a gambling mood, try to find some early VX3200. Mine do 270, 2-2-2-6 32M stable, @ 3.5 VDIMM. Real sweet :). Not even burn't in either. If you include the 26' to run 32M :p, the sticks only have maybe 3 hours run time. The sticks have not seen under 3.3 volts either. But I dare say these are exceptional sticks.

well, not expecting to hit anything - you can never expect when you're overclocking, but I was under impression that it was typical for 4000VX to hit in that range, but since you're saying it's not and the UTT redlines are better, that may be a better option than the 4000VX. But one of the guys has some PC5000 DFI Special that he's willing to sell me, which is what I wanted in the first place, I think I'm going to jump on that deal :D.

Strages said:
well, not expecting to hit anything - you can never expect when you're overclocking, but I was under impression that it was typical for 4000VX to hit in that range, but since you're saying it's not and the UTT redlines are better, that may be a better option than the 4000VX. But one of the guys has some PC5000 DFI Special that he's willing to sell me, which is what I wanted in the first place, I think I'm going to jump on that deal :D.

Sorry you got the impression Redlines are better :). The set I have only do 260 because one stick starts erroring out in #6 around 261 (pack it up, folks).

I do think if you are shooting for 265 and up, best go with VX3200 or Redlines, now that it's difficult to find BH-5. XMS3500 is guaranteed 265+, 32M stable, 2x512s - on a San Diego anyway.

I'm trying to get a SuperPI 32M run in at 260 @ 3.2 VDIMM on my VX4000, as I have run that Memtest clean and 3D stable. I can't reproduce it with the 510 BIOSs though. That's the saving grace of the sticks for me.

BTW, I have no trouble running 300x9, 2.5-3-3-6 with Vitesta PC600 (TCCD) on my 3700+ San Diego. I don't see any diff between my Winnies. However you do have to play with the bottom third of the BIOS settings a bit.

The new G.Skill 1GBGH would be a good choice if your trying for 265Mhz. It and the OCZ Gold are two of the better choices for UTT-BH. The record i saw for the G.Skill was 296Mhz 2-2-2-5.

Back