• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird stuff floating in reservoir, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xylicon

Registered
I popped open the cap to my reservoir to check my water level and I noticed some white stuff floating on top, its soft/squishy to the touch and I have no idea what it is, someone help me identify?

Video of the mystery substance - http://xylicon.com/exp/downloads/Weird Substance.wmv

Im running 100% distilled water with a sufficient amount of anti-freeze, I have no idea how the stuff formed.

I checked my water block and hoses and they show no sign of any kind of algae or other kinds of build up, the white stuff only seems to be in the reservoir.

Oh and I've only been running this setup for about a week, so it formed fairly quick.

Might be a dumb question but did you make sure to clean everything before putting it together? Or at the very least run a coolant mix through and then dump and refill?

Might be some chemicals somewhere in the loop that are collecting at the top like an oil slick.

JT

I second that thought. Fluxes and metalworking oils can turn white and floaty.
The good part is that it's harmless if that's what it is, and will only cost you another gallon of distilled water and some elbow grease (cleanup and refill) to get rid of it.

It looks like you are running an open loop. This may make your system more susceptible to organic material populating your loop. Humidifier bacteriostat may also work well, although I do not know how it would react to the antifreeze.

i had the same thing happen to me. i put it together and ran.

i flushed with vinagar and salt then added my antifreeze and all is good now no more laing ddc not starting without banging it around

Back