• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ DDR2 Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheMainFrame

ok i have

2 X 512 OCZ Platinum Enhanced Bandwidth Rev 2 Limited Edition Dual Channel PC2-4200

I can get a stable overclock with my SPD timings..

However whenever i tighten my ram timings the OC becomes very VERY unstable..

Speedfan is showing my Vcore2 (Which im assuming is my VDimm) to be at 2.10v.. and my Vdimm is at the stock settings.

Shouldent the voltage be at like 1.8v or somthing closer to that?

Also if i assume that its just my sensor showing it at 2.10 or perhaps thats not my Vdimm then my first reaction is to give a little more juice to my ram to see if they will run the tighter timings.

My options for Vdimm is +.1v, +.2v, or +.3v

No matter what timings.. loose... tight.. spd.. not matter what overclock on CPU .. Seems NO MATTER WHAT! if i add anything to the Vdimm the comp wount even post..

Is there an issue with the RAM? or is it what i seem to be leaning toward.. which would be the mobo

Gigabyte is not going to be my next choice next time :shrug:

FYI i have the GA-8I915 Duo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128250

It features a nasty droop, horrible OC options and a fashionable POS northbridge heatsink :p

Ram

You might want to check out OCZ's website. They might can hook you up with some timmings and voltage info. Someone else here might have the same mobo and RAM, and might know.

Have you tried playing with the divider? I think you have it listed as 1:1 in your sig. I do not know much about Intel boards, but I thought it was common to run a divider different from 1:1

I had to run some odd timmings (compaired to what was supposed to be stock) on some Corsair XMS.

Good luck!

E

If I am looking at the right RAM on their site (OCZ DDR2 PC2-4200 533MHz Platinum edition Enhanced Bandwidth LE Rev 2), It's stock voltage is 2.0 and can handle 2.2 without voiding the warranty. It's stock timmings are 3-2-2-8. So the voltage looks to be at stock.

I would probably try upping the voltage, but then again, but I am not an expert! And of course it is your computer.

Hope someone can give you more info.

E

Last edited:
SteveOCZ said:
Have you tried each stick on its own to see if maybe just one is causing the problems?

No, but ill sure give it a try when i get home today

Also let me hit you up with this, cause the answer to this will prob help me get a better perspective on how i overclock with my ram..

If my CPU is run stock, and my Ram is at 3-2-2-8 and everthing is perfect

Then i set my CPU to OC my 3.2 @ 4.0 (250 x 16),

Should i expect to be able to put the 3-2-2-8 timings back and it will run? or would i need to loosen them slightly for stability reasons?

I have that same RAM and it should easily do 266 FSB at the 1:1 ratio using 3-2-2-8 timings, but you might need more RAM voltage. My Abit mobo thinks default voltage is 1.8v even though I think default for that RAM according to OCZ is 1.9v or 2.0v. I run mine at 2.0v all the time with absolutely no problems. Do you have an updated BIOS?

batboy said:
I have that same RAM and it should easily do 266 FSB at the 1:1 ratio using 3-2-2-8 timings, but you might need more RAM voltage. My Abit mobo thinks default voltage is 1.8v even though I think default for that RAM according to OCZ is 1.9v or 2.0v. I run mine at 2.0v all the time with absolutely no problems. Do you have an updated BIOS?

Yes i have the updated bios just seems like the board is not an Overclockers dream if ya know what i mean..

Not to mention with the 915 chipset i beileve there are issues with the Locks and such

I should be able to up the voltage just seems that no matter what i do it wont boot with anything but stock voltage

batboy said:
I have that same RAM and it should easily do 266 FSB at the 1:1 ratio using 3-2-2-8 timings

ive got the same memory and i can do up to 315mhz @ 3-2-2-6 with 2.1v(which is when i think my chipset starts crapping out)

maybe its the 915 chipset thats giving you the problems as intel designed those not to oc well whereas ocz did design the memory to oc well.

TheMainFrame, I'm beginning to suspect the mobo is the culprit.

Hawtrawkr, here is my current max using the tightest timings with my OCZ (this was at 2.2v).

OCZ-EB-cpuz-tightest.JPG

batboy said:
TheMainFrame, I'm beginning to suspect the mobo is the culprit.

Hawtrawkr, here is my current max using the tightest timings with my OCZ (this was at 2.2v).

OCZ-EB-cpuz-tightest.JPG

As am I,

I going to pass this board down to my next system, due to its DDR and DDR2 it makes the perfect transition board and my other rig is a 478. Not to mention i dont OC my other rig :p

How do you like that AA8XE? I really like what i read about them and they seem to be good OCers.... Whats you take on em?

And i noticed that when everthing on the rig is stock setting the Ram will run 3-2-2-8 without a hitch and can even run it at 4:5 with my stock FSB being 200 that runs the ram at 250 and it has no problems running at 3-2-2-8

Im thinking the board just aint up to the challange, i have a few probs with it anyways..

Like..

Its got a nasty .1v Droop on the Vcore
The Mossfets get almost atomic on stock voltage (had to sink em)
Cant Touch the Vdimm on my OCZ or on my old Gateway ram or the comp wont post at all

Just to name a couple.. :shrug:

Last edited:
Or i can always sell the giga-byte and get the AA8XE and maybe another abit or asus :)

Not all that impressed with Giga-byte anyways (as i have heard many a members here where not as impressed either)

TheMainFrame said:
Not all that impressed with Giga-byte anyways (as i have heard many a members here where not as impressed either)

ive never owned a gigabyte mobo. the fx5200 i have from gigabyte overclocks well for as crappy a card as it is but ive only heard a couple isolated "success" stories with thier motherboards with regards to p4 overclocks. it always seems to come back to abit/asus and dfi as far as the top performing boards go from what ive seen (myself i tend to prefer abit of the 3 when dealing with intel and dfi for amd)

I've been very happy with my Abit AA8XE. It's been a solid and reliable board. Probably one of the best i925XE chipset overclockable mobos available. If you need FSB above about 290 and/or dual core processor support, then you might consider one of the new i955 chipsets.

batboy said:
I've been very happy with my Abit AA8XE. It's been a solid and reliable board. Probably one of the best i925XE chipset overclockable mobos available. If you need FSB above about 290 and/or dual core processor support, then you might consider one of the new i955 chipsets.

Dont need any support for the duel core...

FSB above 290?? isent my 640 locked at 16x?

That would be... 4640 Ghz :p

TheMainFrame said:
FSB above 290?? isent my 640 locked at 16x?

That would be... 4640 Ghz :p

that it would! its right around the point where things start getting fun :)

you can however use the 14x multi with a 640 though and that would make for around a 4ghz oc which is alot more obtainable with traditional cooling methods.

Back