• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New P4 Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

Well, my ol' P4T-E apparently bit the dust. When I left my house this morning, my system was working fine. When I came home about 6 hours later, my screen was black. It accepted no input. I reset it. Nothing. After an hour of debugging, I broke it down to the BARE essentials (a speaker, a PSU, and a motherboard), still nothing. Therefore, my conclusion is that it is dead.

Any suggestions on a new P4 motherboard? I am using a Pentium 4 1.8A (northwood-C), so it has a 100/400mhz bus, so no 533 or 800 motherboards. A Rambus board would be best, but since those don't seem to be common anymore, I suppose a DDR board would also be acceptable.

Perhaps an Abit TH7-II or TH7-II Raid (assuming you can find one). That way you could still use the same cpu and ram.

I am going to try for an RMA first -- it should still be within the Asus 3 year warranty... plus, I actually didn't break it this time.

Assuming that I cannot get an RMA, and I gain access to DDR RAM, what would be a good board choice for that CPU?

For a cheap ddr board look into the asus p4s series.

Also, as said, the Abit TH7-II or TH7-II Raid will use rd-ram, so you can save some money on the ddr there.

Well, I have a theory...
Motherboards just don't die. Something has to happen to them to cause them to cease functioning. I personally think a moth got sucked into the fan, and it splattered over some key traces, causing the board to malfunction. In order to clean the board completely of dust and guts, I rinsed it in alcohol; that is, I dumped alcohol on every part of it, and let it drain into a basin. I then rinsed it with clean water (we recently installed a series of inline water filters) in order to remove the grime that the alcohol picked up (there was a lot). I will let it dry, then see if it works. I am worried that whatever malfunction occured, it screwed up the board permanently. Otherwise, I will get a new board.

AntmanMike said:
Any suggestions on a new P4 motherboard? I am using a Pentium 4 1.8A (northwood-C), so it has a 100/400mhz bus, so no 533 or 800 motherboards. A Rambus board would be best, but since those don't seem to be common anymore, I suppose a DDR board would also be acceptable.

From memory most 533/800 boards would also support 400 as well, it would just be a matter of checking the specs on the manufacturers. From memory the IC7 series supports that and I would recommend that :>

Back