• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MOBO Selection help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
Hey all. I am planning a new LGA socket build and need some info on MOBO selection.

I see a lot of new chipsets, and as you can see from my sig, I am still using a 875 setup.

This is what I was looking at, only because i see it is the newest chipset.
Update ABIT AW8-MAX Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 955X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: AW8-MAX
$225.00
MOBO

Now I plan on possibly using a Pentium 640. I will deffinately be overclocking, and using air cooling. I currently have new in the box a ABIT AA8 DuraMax. It was given to me and has never been used. Is this board worth a damn? Is it worth using and saving $200? Is there a better option out there for me then either?

I appologize for the questions, but just not real up on the new chipsets. Please let me know what you think as far as performance. I am well aware that the 955X will have the most upgradeable path, but I am loking for pure OCing ability and performance.

Thanks in advance.

The Abit AA8 can support the 6XX series processors if you update the BIOS. It will certainly work if you are on a budget. Don't expect super high FSB on that mobo though. Maybe 240 to about 250 FSB max. That might be all you need with a 640 CPU (241 FSB is about 4.1 gig). Of course, you'll need a PCI-E vid card and DDR2 RAM. Other than the FSB limitation, it's a solid reliable mobo.

batboy said:
The Abit AA8 can support the 6XX series processors if you update the BIOS. It will certainly work if you are on a budget. Don't expect super high FSB on that mobo though. Maybe 240 to about 250 FSB max. That might be all you need with a 640 CPU (241 FSB is about 4.1 gig). Of course, you'll need a PCI-E vid card and DDR2 RAM. Other than the FSB limitation, it's a solid reliable mobo.

241FSB with a 640 would be ~3850, not 4.1. You'd need about 256 for 4.1

AA8 "shouldn't" hit as high a FSB as the AW8. Otherwise, a good solid board.

Thanks for replys. Quick question. The AA8XE is that just a AA8 with support for a 1066 FSB?

Ok, for some reason I was thinking the 640 was 3.4 default. Looks like Know Nuttin actually is Knows Sumthin. Maybe you should think about getting the 650 if you stay with that mobo or better yet, sell it and get another mobo that will give you higher FSB. The AA8XE offers 1066 bus support, so it has a much better PCI-E lock and divider at 266 FSB, so you can go much higher FSB. My AA8XE does 292 FSB stable. The AW8 like you first mentioned should be a good mobo too with the added benefit of having an upgrade path to the 8XX series processors.

I know this an ABIT section but does anyone have an opinion on the better of these two boards?

ABIT AW8-MAX and the ASUS P5WD2 Premium.

I am gonna go with the 955 chipset, jsut can't decide between the two.

I have always been an ABIT guy, but am finding it hard to choose. Basically lookin for a board to do 300fsb stable. I know both of these can. Any other major differences>

Wish my AW8-max, would have come today, now i have to wait til monday. It's midsummerseve tomorrow.. :(

//Christian

Back